Greenville Alternative Teacher Education (GATE) Program
GATE pools for the 2024-2025 school year are now open!
- A bachelor’s degree, with a major or emphasis in the content area desired from a regionally accredited college or university
- Non-U.S. transcripts evaluated by an approved independent agency, including a course-by course evaluation of non-U.S. coursework as it compares to a four-year program in the U.S., a semester-hour equivalent of each area of college-level study and a translation of course titles into English, if applicable
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Evidence of passing score(s) on the PRAXIS specialty area content examination(s) as required by the South Carolina
- A “clear status” from the South Carolina State Department of Education
- French or Spanish native speaker applicants: A postsecondary degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree or higher in the US and proficient communication skills in all modes of the English language
Applicants who are graduates of teacher preparation programs or have held a teaching certificate or have been previously enrolled in another SC alternative certification program are not eligible for this program.
Our partners at TeachSC have free tools and resources, including one on one coaching calls, to help you decide if this is the right pathway for you. PLUS, they can help you apply to the Greenville Alternative Teacher Education (GATE) pathway (and they provide financial support, too!). Access these resources by signing up here!