Greenville Alternative Teacher Education (GATE) Program
NOTE: Please note that GATE application pools are now closed. The next application period will be open in January 2019.
GATE Program Application Process
- Submit Greenville County Schools (GCS) GATE online application as an external applicant
- Receive a GATE Letter of Evaluation (LOE)
- Schedule, take and pass the appropriate PRAXIS specialty area content exam.
- List the South Carolina Department of Education (code R8108) and GATE (code RA5248) as score recipients.
- Upload a screenshot of your registration page to your GATE profile.
- Refer to the Praxis Information Bulletin for more information
- Receive an invitation for a district interview
- Participate in a district interview and provide an on-site writing sample
- Update the GCS application with documentation of the required PRAXIS passing score (if not done originally). This document must include all report pages and be received prior to being approved for school-based interviews.
Submit the online application for educator certification to the South Carolina Department of Education (SCDE) through the CATS Portal.
Upload a screenshot showing completion of your application to your GATE profile
Complete the SCDE required Fingerprinting Process and Criminal Records Review Information on completing the process is available through the CATS Portal only after you submit an application for educator certification
Skip the payment link in the CATS portal (it is not active). Use the link in #4.
The certification application fee payment must be paid at South Carolina Educator Certification Application Fee Website. If you cannot pay the fee online, then you must submit a check or money order made out to SCDE. You must also include the Request for Change Action form. Check option #4. Send the payment and form to the Office of Educator Services, South Carolina Department of Education, 8301 Parklane Road, Columbia, SC 29223
- Complete all SDE requirements and achieve a “clear status”
- Receive a GATE Statement of Eligibility Letter that allows you to interview for vacant positions
Acceptance to GATE Program
- Apply for open positions posted on the GCSD Job Listings page and send a letter of interest and resume to schools with available positions
- Interview with school principals
- Receive a GATE Teacher employment offer
- Provide required agreements, forms and documents
- Receive final acceptance to the GATE Program
Please be aware that due to the limited number of GATE teaching positions available, GCS employment and acceptance to the GATE program are not guaranteed.
The following documents are required as part of this process. We encourage you to collect this information and complete the applications in a timely manner. Some of these documents may take time to receive.
Greenville County Schools Application:
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- A professional resume
- Contact information for two professional references, including your latest supervisor (if possible). The two references must be people who can attest to your professionalism, work ethic and academic background.
- PRAXIS specialty area content examination(s) passing score report. See required PRAXIS test codes and scores. Be sure to list Greenville County School as one of the score recipients. If you have not taken the PRAXIS content test yet, you may add this to your GCS application during the district screening process.
South Carolina Department of Education Educator Certification Application:
- The application for educator certification must be made through the CATS Portal. Upload documentation that you have completed this application to your GCS profile.