- GATE Home
- About the GATE Program
- Information Sessions
Greenville Alternative Teacher Education (GATE) Program
NOTE: Please note that GATE application pools are now closed. The next application period will be open in January 2019.
GATE Program Application Process
- Submit Greenville County Schools (GCS) GATE online application
- Submit South Carolina Department of Education(SDE) alternative certification program (GATE) application and application fee. You will receive this information once your GCS online application is evaluated.
- Receive an invitation for a district interview
- Schedule, take and pass the appropriate PRAXIS specialty area content exam (if you have not already done so)
- Participate in a district interview and provide an on-site writing sample
- Update the GCS application with documentation of the required PRAXIS passing score (if not done originally). This document must include all report pages and be received prior to being approved for school-based interviews.
- Complete all SDE requirements and achieve a “clear status”
- Receive a GATE Statement of Eligibility Letter that allows you to interview for vacant positions
Acceptance to GATE Program
- Apply for open positions posted on the GCSD Job Listings page and send a letter of interest and resume to schools with available positions
- Interview with school principals
- Receive a GATE Teacher employment offer
- Provide required agreements, forms and documents
- Receive final acceptance to the GATE Program
Please be aware that due to the limited number of GATE teaching positions available, GCS employment and acceptance to the GATE program are not guaranteed.
The following documents are required as part of this process. We encourage you to collect this information and complete the applications in a timely manner. Some of these documents may take time to receive.
Greenville County Schools Application:
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- A professional resume
- Contact information for two professional references, including your latest supervisor (if possible). The two references must be people who can attest to your professionalism, work ethic and academic background.
- PRAXIS specialty area content examination(s) passing score report. See required PRAXIS test codes and scores. Be sure to list Greenville County School as one of the score recipients. If you have not taken the PRAXIS content test yet, you may add this to your GCS application during the district screening process.
South Carolina Department of Education Certification Application:
- $105.00 non-refundable application fee; submitted at the same time of the SDE application
- Official sealed college transcripts from each college where you received a degree
- PRAXIS Score Report - Content PRAXIS Exam as required by SC SDE (approximate cost is $120, but varies by subject)
- Electronic Fingerprint process – In-state applicants can schedule an appointment for fingerprinting by contacting L-1 Enrollment Services at www.identogo.com. Out-of-State applicants may request a fingerprint card from the Educator Certification web site for manual submission of fingerprints. The fingerprinting cost is $53.25 and is payable to MorphoTrust USA LLC. Fingerprinting costs are not included in the $105.00 application fee.
- Copy of Social Security Card (US)