Greenville Alternative Teacher Education (GATE) Program
The Greenville Alternative Teacher Education (GATE) program is an exciting, innovative, new pathway to a career in teaching. The first district-based, job-embedded alternative certification program in South Carolina is designed to increase the number of exceptional math, science and world language teachers in Greenville County middle level and secondary schools.
In partnership with Public Education Partners (PEP), GATE provides rigorous preparation in best educational practices to selected individuals who have a strong commitment to teach and a bachelor’s degree with a major or an emphasis in the specific teaching field. Similar to a medical residency model, the program will fully integrate content, best teaching practices and professional knowledge within a supportive, authentic school teaching experience.
Potential candidates must have:
- A bachelor’s degree, with a major or an emphasis in the specific teaching field, from a regionally accredited college or university
- A minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA
- Evidence of passing score(s) on the PRAXIS specialty area content examination(s) as required by the South Carolina State Department of Education (SC SDE)
The program includes:
- A three year teaching commitment as a Greenville County Schools (GCS) classroom teacher
- Teacher salary and benefits
- A small cohort of candidates
- Summer institutes and school year seminars specifically designed for the GATE teachers and taught by district personnel and expert educators
- On-site, intensive coaching and mentoring from a school support team
- Active participation in professional learning communities
- A professional teaching certificate upon successful completion of the program
Applications will be accepted beginning January 8 – March 31, 2019. A limited number of candidates will be selected, so apply now!