Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014
STEMFest @ Engineering Day
Discover amazing things scientists and engineers do to make the world a better place! Roper Mountain Science Center and local engineers celebrate STEM with fun-filled hands-on activities for kids and adults. STEMFest @ Engineering Day takes place at Roper Mountain Science Center on February 8th from 9AM to 1PM. This event is supported by community partners Adex Advanced Machining, BMW, Manufacturing, Clemson University Engineering, FIRST Robotics teams of the Upstate, Fluor, GE/ASME, Greenville Drive, Greenville Tech, IT-ology, Lockheed Martin, Michelin, Milliken, Purdue Club of Upstate S.C., Southside High School Automated Machines Team, Sunstore Solar and students from East North Street Academy, and Upstate SC STEM Collaborative.
A sampling of STEM events throughout the Day for Families:
- Fluor will provide Engineering Challenges for children ages 6 and up (scouts and non-scouts). Webelo Cub Scouts can earn requirements towards their “Engineering” badge. Girls Scouts can find inspiration for their “Make Your Own” badge!
- “Energizing Future Engineers” GE and American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) help you become the engineer in the student design center!
- Race your Engin-eer! Join the race as Lockheed Martin Engineers will help you learn about reverse engineering and discover what lawnmower engines and airplanes have in common!
- BMW engineers will be showcasing the vehicles produced in the Upstate and talk about automotive and manufacturing engineering. Discussions will include the demonstration, “What is sound quality?” and its importance in premium luxury vehicles.
- FIRST Robotics teams including the GreenVillains, Techno-Mutts, and the Agents of Fury will share their amazing winning robots and projects.
- Explore the world of Cryogenics! Milliken presents their “super cool” science show. Show times are 10:00am, 11:00am, and 12:00pm.
- Got Code? We do! – IT-ology and Southside HS will be presenting Android apps and a Rubik’s cube solving robot!
- Greenville Tech will present their manufacturing robot and let visitors experience a race car!
- ADEX Machining Technologies will be showcasing, 5-axis machining and parts from a laser guided rocket, a black hawk helicopter and the International Space Station!
- Investigate concrete and steel and make a unique Valentine’s Day project with Clemson Civil Engineering! Also, learn about bio-medical engineering with Clemson engineering staff and students!
- Join the Purdue Club of Upstate S.C.to be a chocolate chip cookie mining engineer and learn the steps of how chocolate is processed by Night Owl Chocolate Company in the Rainforest Lab!
- Sunstore Solar and East North Street Academy 4th grade students will let you get hands-on with solar energy!
- Meet some of the staff and learn about the newly launched Upstate SC STEM Collaborative!
- Visitors will also have the opportunity to meet the Greenville Drive baseball team’s mascot REEDY RIP’IT!
Roper Mountain Science Center is open to the public on the Second Saturday of each month. Activities will be ongoing in the Marine Lab, Tropical Rainforest Habitat, Daniel Observatory, and the T.C. Hooper Planetarium.
STEMFest @Engineering Day Saturday hours are 9:00 AM-1:00 PM. Admission is: $5 for children (ages 5-12); $6 for Teens and Adults (ages 13-59); and $5 for senior citizens (age 60 and over). All events are included in the general admission to the Center. Free for children age 4 and under, RMSC Association members, or School District Employees.
Roper Mountain Science Center is owned and operated by Greenville County Schools as an educational resource for teachers, students, families and adults. Roper Mountain Science Center is located at 402 Roper Mountain Road, Greenville, South Carolina. Check out the Center's website at www.ropermountain.org for directions to the Center or information about special events and other programs. For further information, please call the Center at (864) 355-8900.