Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013
24 GCS Seniors Named National Merit Finalists; 9 Seniors Named National Achievement Finalists
Twenty-four high school seniors have been named Finalists in the National Merit® Scholarship Program. Additionally, nine seniors have been named finalists in the National Achievement® Scholarship Program.
The National Merit® Scholarship Program is an academic competition for recognition and scholarships. High school students enter the National Merit Program by taking the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test, a test which serves as an initial screen of approximately 1.5 million entrants each year, and by meeting published program entry/participation requirements.
The National Achievement® Scholarship Program is an academic competition established to provide recognition for outstanding Black American high school students. Black students may enter both the National Achievement Program and the National Merit® Program by taking the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test and meeting other published requirements for participation.
National Merit Scholarship Program Finalists
- Eastside High (3) - Christopher A. Bresette, Thomas C. Guryan, Olivia L. Svacha
- J. L. Mann High Academy (4) - Danielle Godfrey, Emily Gregoire, Jacob Jones, Rebekah Sweatt
- Mauldin High (2) - Kathleen LeeAnn Cole, Brittany Dawn Fales
- Riverside High (7) - William Allen, Nicholas Brown, Benjamin Butler, Nathan Chou, Raphael Turra, Kimberly Wang, Jiawei Zhang
- Southside High (6) - Anjali Carroll, Harshita Jain, Anurag Khandavalli; Jakob Teipen; Michael Wang; Brendan Williams
- Wade Hampton High (2) - Brandon Byrd*, Clarice Randall
National Achievement Scholarship Program Finalists
- Hillcrest High (1) - Maegan E. Seawright
- J. L. Mann High Academy (2) - Bunny Harris-Lowe, Matthew Little
- Mauldin High (3) - Kathryn B. Jones, Myron J. Reese, Brittany A. Walker
- Riverside High (2) - Zachary Dawson, Vera Foli
- Wade Hampton High (1) - Brandon Byrd*