Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012
November 12-16, 2012 Designated to Recognize Public School Employees
Greenville County Schools will celebrate American Education Week with other schools and districts across the nation from November 12-16, 2012. The theme, Great Public Schools: A Basic Right and Our Responsibility, emphasizes the importance of providing every child with a quality public education.
In Greenville County Schools, the nation’s 47th largest school district, we understand and encourage the active involvement of parents, volunteers, and the community as our 5,000 teachers educate and inspire more than 71,000 young people.
Schools will host special events during the week to spotlight teachers and other staff. Parents and other community members are invited to visit a local school to observe the outstanding students, staff and programs of Greenville County Schools. To find your local schools, click on the schools tab on the left side of the home page.
About Greenville County Schools
NATIONALLY ACCREDITED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Greenville County Schools received National Accreditation from the AdvancED Accreditation Commission, recognizing the school system as a high quality school district and granting full accreditation to the school district and all of its schools.
- Largest District in SC; 47th Largest in Nation
- More than 71,000 Students in Grades K-12
- The GCS Class of 2012 received $104 million in college scholarships.
- Nine out of 10 graduates attend college, with many enrolling in the Nation’s most prestigious universities.
- 10,000 students (15%) attend school on choice, making GCS the state leader.
- GCS students consistently outperform the Nation on the ACT college entrance test.
About 9,500 Employees (Teachers – About 5,000)
- 98% of teachers are highly qualified content experts.
- GCS boasts more National Board Certified Teachers (631) than 25 states, and we rank 13th of 14,000 school districts in the nation for total number of NBCTs.
Schools - 100
- Elementary - 51
- Middle - 18
- High - 14
- Centers - 17 (Career, Child Development, Special)