Greenville County Schools Announces Top 10 Teacher of the Year Finalists
Greenville County Schools Superintendent Dr. Burke Royster surprised ten GCS teachers with the announcement that they have been named the Top 10 Finalists for 2023-24 GCS Teacher of the Year today.
Congratulations to these deserving teachers who are the top ten teachers out of approximately 6,000 teachers across the district!
“I extend my congratulations to each of our Top 10 Finalists for making it to this level of a very competitive process,” said GCS Superintendent Dr. Burke Royster. “These teachers represent what it means to dedicate yourself to the worthy profession of education and ensuring that our students will be prepared for their next steps in life and education.”
The Top 10 Finalists are, in alphabetical order:
- Crystal Chappell, 4th Grade Teacher at Monaview Elementary
- Caroline Creel, 6th Grade Science Teacher at Northwest Middle
- Allison Franke, Writing and Journalism Teacher at League Academy
- Courtney Pfeiffer, School Counselor at East North Street Academy
- Catherine Smith, Architecture Teacher at The Fine Arts Center
- Wendy Trusty, Challenge Teacher at Taylors Elementary
- Leila Tyler, Special Education Teacher at Wade Hampton High
- Isaac West, 5th Grade Teacher at Hollis Academy
- Erin Wilson, Music Teacher at Bell’s Crossing Elementary
- Lindsay Zika, ESOL Teacher at Greenville High
The process of selecting the ten finalists began last fall when schools and centers selected their individual Teacher of the Year. Teachers completed extensive applications that were reviewed by a Screening Committee and a Selection Committee. The Top 10 Finalists will be narrowed down to three finalists and the 2023-24 Greenville County Schools Teacher of the Year which will be announced on August 3.
Special thanks to our generous sponsor, Greenville Federal Credit Union, who provided a $100 Visa Gift Card, an insulated coffee tumbler, an umbrella and a duffle bag to each of the Top 10 Teacher of the Year Finalists.
Top 10 Teacher of the Year Finalists are pictured here with Dr. Burke Royster, their principal, and Catherine James of Greenville Federal Credit Union.