Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2019
U.S. News Best High Schools
Eastside, Wade Hampton, Riverside, J. L. Mann, and Greenville high schools are among the top-ranked high schools in South Carolina and the nation, according to the 2019 U.S. News Best High Schools rankings.
- Eastside High ranks #10 in South Carolina and #1,220 in the nation.
- Wade Hampton High ranks #11 in South Carolina and #1,239 in the nation.
- Riverside High ranks #16 in South Carolina and #2,023 in the nation.
- J.L. Mann High Academy ranks #17 in South Carolina and 2,025 in the nation.
- Greenville High Academy ranks #24 in South Carolina and 2,553 in the nation.
The U.S. News rankings include data on 23,000 public high schools in 50 states and the District of Columbia, including 221 high schools in South Carolina.
The 2019 Best High Schools rankings take a holistic approach to evaluating schools, looking at six factors: college readiness, reading and math proficiency, reading and math performance, underserved student performance, college curriculum breadth and graduation rates. Specifically, college readiness measures participation and performance on AP and IB exams.
The new methodology assigns weights to the six factors and then produces an overall score on which the ranking is based – as compared to the previous methodology, which involved a four-step process in which the final step used college readiness as the sole basis to determine a school's numerical rank.
The Best High Schools rankings are available exclusively on usnews.com and include data on a variety of factors, such as enrollment, student diversity, participation in free and reduced-price lunch programs, graduation rates and the results of state assessments. U.S. News worked with RTI International, a global research firm, to implement the comprehensive ranking methodology.