Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016
Ashleigh Hambright Selected for Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy
Ashleigh Hambright, a third grade teacher at Sterling School, has been selected by the National Council of Teachers in Mathematics (NCTM) and the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) to participate in the 2016 Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy at Liberty Science Center in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Ms. Hambright will join 154 third- through fifth-grade teachers from across the nation from July 17-22 for this one-week, all-expense paid professional development opportunity.
At the Academy, Ms. Hambright will learn innovative ways to capture students’ interest in math and science and inspire them in these subjects. The Academy aims to:
- Deepen the teacher's understanding of mathematics and science content with data and statistics, measurement, force and motion
- Build expertise in facilitating student learning through problem solving and inquiry
- Use links between math and science to support student learning
- Help teachers understand how children learn and apply that to classroom instruction
- Build teacher's knowledge base and use of instructional resources to support students' learning
- Network with others involved in third- through fifth-grade mathematics and science education
The Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy launched in 2005 through a partnership between Phil and Amy Mickelson and ExxonMobil, and the curricula was developed in conjunction with the National Science Teachers Association and Math Solutions. Since its launch, the Academy has trained more than 5,000 teachers, impacting the lives of more than 425,000 students nationwide.