Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015
GCS Player of the Week - October 29
This week, our GCS Players of the Week established a new state record in football and a school record in Cross Country!
Jason Sammons, Blue Ridge High Football, set a new state record with 434 yards receiving versus Chapman. Jason caught 15 balls for 434 yards and 4 touchdowns. The 434 yards is the 4th> best total nationally all-time!
Noemi Gutierrez, Cross Country Southside High, set the school record for girls this year with a time of 20:38, nearly two minutes faster than the previous record. Her time of 20:38 in her region meet was good enough for 10th place and she became the first Tiger runner to be named All-Region in 10 years!
Congratulations to our record setters Jason Sammons and Noemi Gutierrez!
Congratulations to all of our Player of the Week nominees who were recognized by their coaches and athletic directors this week:
- Stevie Williams, Berea Football – 150 yds and TD vs Emerald
- Micaela Ventura, Berea Cross Country – Set new personal record at County Meet
- Riley Driscoll, Blue Ridge Tennis – Recognized as a team leader
- Davario Brown, Carolina Football – 4 tackles, 3 assists and 3 catches for 60 yds vs Powdersville
- Matthew Tinsley, Eastside Cross Country – Top team finisher at County Meet
- Bridget Wilson, Eastside Cross Country – Top team finisher at County Meet
- Mario Cusano, Greer Football – 19/24 304 yds and 4 TD’s, set school passing record with 5,725 career yards
- Olivia Turner, Greer Tennis – Recognized for outstanding sportsmanship
- Quin Wilson, Hillcrest Cross Country – Achieved All-County recognition at County Meet
- Olivia Mendoza, Hillcrest Cheer – Recognized as a team leader
- Jack Zemp, JL Mann Cross Country – Winner of 2015 Greenville County Meet.
- Morgan Moseley, JL Mann Cross Country – Named All-County with 8th place finish at Region meet
- Robert Morrow, Riverside Football – Team leader, caught 25 yard TD vs JL Mann.
- Abby Farr, Riverside Volleyball – Senior Libero, has 430 digs and 2.52 pass ratio with 71% to target
- Neje Washington, Southside Football – 98 yards receiving with a TD, plus 8 tackles and 2 bass break-ups vs Greer
- Wallace Cruell, Travelers Rest Football – 65 yards on 8 carries and a TD vs Eastside
- Anna Dunn, Travelers Rest Cross Country – 20:13 at County Meet, 2nd fastest by an 8th grader in TR history
- John Ward, Wade Hampton Cross Country – Finished 2nd at County Meet with time of 15:44. Led Generals team that won their 16th County Title in 18 years
- Kristin McConnell, Wade Hampton Cheer – Flyer on Competition Cheer team, recognized as a leader who solidified a difficult routine
- Cross Hosea, Woodmont Football – 4 interceptions in win over Greenville
- Emma DeRoberts, Woodmont Cross Country – 2nd place finish in Region 1 AAAA Meet