What Are School Entrance Requirements?
4K programs are offered at various elementary schools and six child development centers. Children who will be four years old on or before September 1 of the current school year may be eligible for this free program. Eligibility for 4K is based on academic and developmental needs, family income, and parent education level. Screenings are held each March/April for the upcoming school year. For more information, call 355- 7359.
Kindergarten And First Grade
Children who will be five years old on or before September 1 of this year must enroll in public or private kindergarten, unless the parent or legal guardian signs a waiver. Any child who will be six years old on or before September 1 of this year must enroll in first grade.
To enroll a new student in kindergarten or first grade, a parent must present the following at registration:
- Photo ID from any state or country
- Two current “proof of residency” documents (all must contain property address) These can be a combination of:
- Current bills – i.e. electric, gas, water, cable
- Current mortgage statement or current signed lease agreement with landlord’s name and phone number
- Birth Certificate
- Valid South Carolina Certificate of Immunization or South Carolina Certificate of Religious Exemption obtained from the Greenville County Health Department
- Additional enrollment information
If a child is entering school for the first time, the parent is encouraged to register him or her before the opening day of school. To determine where your child will attend school, visit Find My School or call INFOLine at 355-3100.