Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016
GCS Magnet Academies to Hold Open Houses
Come Inside to Find Out Which Magnet Attracts Your Child to School
Greenville County Schools magnet academies of accelerated learning offer unique educational choices to meet the individual needs of students.
The academic program of each magnet academy offers a theme or focus that is designed to give students an opportunity to explore a special interest, gift, talent or skill. These schools attract top students and talented teachers who bring innovative ideas to the classroom. Teachers are chosen based on their academic preparation, professional experience, and specialized skills.
October 2016 Magnet Open House Events
Thursday, October 20
- Blythe Academy, 5:15-7:00pm, Languages
- Hughes Academy, 5:30-7:00pm, Science and Technology
- JL Mann Academy, 5:30-7:00, Math, Science, and Technology
Monday, October 24
- East North Street Academy, 6:00-7:00pm, Mathematics and Science
Tuesday, October 25
- League Academy, 5:30-7:00pm, Communication Arts
Thursday, October 27
- Stone Academy, 5:30-7:00pm, Communication Arts
- Beck Academy, 5:30-7:00pm, International Baccalaureate
Admission into magnet academies is open to all eligible students, but spaces are limited. Students may apply to more than one magnet academy. Applications are scored based on four criteria: attendance, discipline, grade average (student interview in Grades K-5, 1, 2), and a student statement indicating why the student would like to attend the magnet academy. Students who apply and qualify during the first application period have a greater chance of being offered a slot than those students who apply and qualify in later rounds.