Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2015
Greenville County Schools Veterans Events
A.J. Whittenberg Elementary, 452-0500
- Monday, November 9, 6:00 p.m.: The PTA will honor Veterans with a Choral Performance at the November PTA Meeting.
- Wednesday, November 11, 1:00 p.m.: Chorus will perform a musical program in honor of Veterans Day
Augusta Circle Elementary, 355-1200
- Wednesday, November 11 (During Regular Lunch Schedule)
- Students are encouraged to bring a veteran to lunch with them.
Bells Crossing Elementary, 355-3800
- This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War. The school will have a special message about the anniversary and will award veterans with a small token of appreciation. The chorus will perform an alight breakfast will be provided. RSVP to 355-3800.
Berea High School, 355-1600
- Wednesday, November 11, 2:30 p.m. - “Honoring All Who Served” will focus on the anniversary of the Vietnam War and the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II. The role of General Dwight D. Eisenhower will be featured. The event includes music and the Air Force Junior ROTC. Call 355-1600.
Bethel Elementary, 355-4100
- Wednesday, November 11 “Veteran’s Walk of Honor”
- Students’ will create posters about a Veteran that is special to them. Posters will be displayed and placed around the front of the school for everyone to admire.
Blue Ridge Middle School - Wednesday, November 11: 8:45 a.m.-10:15 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.-11:45 a.m.
- School will commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War. There will be a special speaker from Michelin, and music by the band, strings and chorus at BRMS. Veterans who are relatives of students are invited to have a special lunch afterwards.
Buena Vista Elementary - Wednesday, November 11
- 5th grade students will create timelines of major wars which will then have pictures of our veterans of each of those wars displayed around them. Students will bring pictures of a veteran in his/her family.
- 2nd grade students are performing for the veterans at 10:45 that morning.
- All grade levels can invite a veteran to eat lunch with them.
Bryson Middle School - Monday, November 16, 7 p.m.
- The Bryson Middle Choral, Band, and Strings Department would like to invite veterans to their program. Several patriotic pieces will be presented throughout the program. Bryson Middle is privileged to have the Mauldin High School Navy JROTC under the leadership of Commander Denny Shelton USN (ret) to present our colors. This will be an awesome opportunity to honor our veterans that have done so much for us.
Crestview Elementary – 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- All veterans and guests will be served a special lunch. The chorus will sing patriotic songs, and ROTC will put on a short program. Fifth graders will provide recognition and the celebration will end with cake and punch. Call 355-2600.
East North Street Academy - Wednesday, November 11, 8:30 a.m.
- 4th grade teacher and retired MSgt USAF David Field will be the speaker. Mr. Field’s class will sing a Patriotic Medley and America, the Beautiful. Lunch will be provided at 11:30 for visiting veterans.
Ellen Woodside Elementary - Wednesday, November 11
- Veterans are invited to lunch on Veterans Day. The Ruritan Club will pay for the cost of lunches.
Fork Shoals School - Monday, November 9, 11:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
- Veterans are invited to “Veteran’s Hero Day,” a special day of recognition at Fork Shoals School. They would like to thank you for your service by offering you a lunch and some great company. Veterans who would like to attend are asked to please contact the school by Friday, November 6, so they can make plans to honor our heroes.
Gateway Elementary - Wednesday, November 11
- Stephanie Sandlin's second grade class will have a special guest speaker who served our country in the Navy. Stuart Kelly will share his adventures serving in the Navy and discuss the importance of honoring our Veterans on this special day. He will talk about his service duties and training to become a navy officer.
Golden Strip Child Development Center - Thursday, November 12
- We will teach our children how to stand and salute as well as allow them to see artifacts, medals, and ribbons. Each child will receive an American flag. We will also have a parade where each classroom will decorate a float. Thank you cards will be sent to local Veterans in nursing homes.
League Academy – 8:00 am
- Breakfast for veterans will be served at 8 am in the teacher’s lounge. Veterans will give testimonies, war artifacts will be on display, and students will watch a video featuring WW2 veterans. For more info, contact Christine Barnhart at 551-9892 or Karen Weaver at 293-6412.
Mauldin Elementary - Wednesday, November 11
- Veterans Day Lunch: Veterans may come during the class lunch time of their student and eat with the class.
Pelham Road Elementary - Friday, November 6, 9 a.m.
- Veteran's Day Celebration and Ceremony at the Flagpole: Music will be provided by the Pelham Road All-Star Chorus. Veterans and Active Service Members are cordially invited to attend. Boy and Girl Scouts are asked to wear their uniforms. Students, faculty, and parents are encouraged to show their support by wearing red, white, and blue.
Sara Collins Elementary - Friday, November 13 (during all lunch periods)
- Students will invite Veteran family members and friends to join them for lunch.
Sevier Middle – 10:00 am
- “Return to Camp Sevier” is open to the public. This annual ceremony honors veterans and teaches students about Camp Sevier, the World War I training camp, active from 1917-1919. Sevier invites all former and active military personnel to come before the ceremony to speak to small groups between 8:30 – 9:00 am. Call 355-8200.
Skyland Elementary – 11:30 am
- Veterans and their guests, including spouses of deceased veterans, will be invited into classrooms to hear poems, stories and songs written by students in honor of veterans. A special complimentary lunch will be served to all veterans at noon. Call 355-7200
Sue Cleveland Elementary - Monday, November 9, 6:30 p.m.
- 2nd Grade students will give a special performance for Veteran's Day. School is also kicking off their Fall Book Fair that evening.
Summit Drive Elementary – 1:15 pm
- Students will sing to honor veterans and express their respect for our country. Veterans are asked to share their time of service and military affiliation during the ceremony. Call 355-8800.
Wade Hampton High School - Wednesday, November 11, 2:30 p.m.-3:15 p.m.
- Special assembly recognizing Lorraine Holeman, former Army Intelligence Captain, and Ann Lavely's grandfather, a 90+-year-old WWII Guadalcanal veteran.