Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012
GCS Magnet Academies Host Open House Events for Prospective Students
Find out why students at Greenville County’s 11 magnet academies learn what they love and love what they learn. From October 2 through October 30, each magnet academy will hold an Open House event for prospective families. Interested students and their parents will have the opportunity to learn more about the school’s magnet focus and find out how to apply to one or more magnet schools.
The first application enrollment period for the 2013-2014 school year will run from Thursday, November 1 through Monday, December 3 at noon. Students who apply and qualify during the first application period have a greater chance of being offered a slot than those students who apply and qualify in later rounds. Qualifying siblings are given priority; the highest scores are then accepted until all slots are filled. A lottery system is used when there are more qualifying applicants than available slots.
Applications are scored based on four criteria: attendance, discipline, grade average (student interview in Grades K-5, 1, 2), and a student statement indicating why the student would like to attend the magnet academy.
“Students in GCS magnet academies are successful because they are immersed in an educational environment that responds to student interests, celebrates cultural and ethnic diversity, and fosters student achievement,” said Debbie Carrero, Coordinator of Magnet Academy Programs. “Students have many exciting opportunities to expand their learning in the school’s academic focus areas.”
Completed applications may be mailed, hand delivered or emailed to the appropriate magnet academy. Applications, information on Greenville County Schools magnet academies, and a listing of Open House events are available at www.gcsmagnetacademies.org or by calling INFOLine at 355-3100.
2012 Open House Dates for GCS Magnet Academies
Tuesday, October 2 – 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Blythe Elementary Academy of Languages (355-4400)
Tuesday, October 9 – 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Greenville Middle Academy of Global and Traditional Studies (355-5600)
- Carolina High School & Academy of Engineering Technology and Health Professions (355-2300)
Tuesday, October 16 – 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- J.L. Mann High Academy of Mathematics, Science, and Technology (355-6300)
Thursday, October 18 – 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- East North Street Elementary Academy of Mathematics and Science (355-2900)
Monday, October 22 – 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Hughes Middle Academy of Science and Technology (355-6200)
Tuesday October 23 – 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Greenville Senior High Academy of Law, Finance, and Business (355-5500)
Thursday, October 25 – 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Stone Elementary Academy of Communication Arts (355-8400)
Monday, October 29 – 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Beck Middle Academy International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (355-1400)
Tuesday, October 30 – 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- League Middle Academy of Communication Arts (355-8100)
- Southside High Academy International Baccalaureate Middle Years and Diploma Programs (355-8700)