Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012
12 Schools Earn Energy Star Rating
Twelve schools in Greenville County have been recognized with the Energy Star label by the Environmental Protection Agency. The Energy Star label is awarded when a building has documented superior energy performance with measurable results on the energy it consumes. Only one other school in South Carolina has been awarded the rating.
The schools earning the Energy Star rating are Augusta Circle, Chandler Creek, Cherrydale, Mountain View, Pelham Road, Robert E. Cashion, Simpsonville, Stone, Taylors, Thomas E. Kerns, Tigerville, and Welcome.
The EPA energy performance rating system includes metrics that provide feedback on whether the energy goals are met and how to operate better performing buildings. Buildings that achieve an EPA rating of 75 or higher are eligible for the Energy Star label. By meeting the Energy Star criteria, Greenville County Schools is saving taxpayers about $21,000 per location per year in energy costs. The cost savings were immediate but the EPA required baseline data for a 12-month period before the schools were eligible to earn the Energy Star rating.
- The savings were attained through no-cost behavior modifications and improvements in the operation of the HVAC systems.
- Staff and students were given information on how they could help save energy, such as turning off lights and computers when not in use, keeping doors and windows shut, and reducing plug loads including personal appliances.
- The Energy Management Department conducted building audits after regular business hours to identify and turn off equipment that had been left on at the end of the day.
- The building HVAC control system software was optimized for maximum efficiency by the Energy Management Department and the local HVAC control system service provider.
- Aggressive time of day scheduling was established for the HVAC system to minimize equipment operations, with a maximum heating temperature of 69 degrees and a minimum cooling temperature of 73 degrees.