Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011
CogAT and ITBS Second Grade Testing
November 2-4; November 8-9
The Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) will be administered to students in Grade 2 on November 2, 3 and 4. The CogAT is a nationally standardized aptitude test which provides an estimate of the likelihood of a student’s success in certain academic areas. The CogAT is an untimed test, but should take approximately 40 minutes per day to administer.
The Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS) is a nationally standardized test which measures students’ performance in reading and mathematics. The ITBS will be administered to students in Grade 2 on November 8 and 9. The ITBS is an untimed test, but should take approximately one hour per day.
- Please see that your child gets rest on the nights before these tests.
- Please make sure that your child eats a nourishing breakfast each day.
- Make every effort to have your child in school and on time except in case of illness.
- Please see that your child brings at least two #2 pencils to school. Pencils are required for marking test answer documents.
- Encourage your child to listen attentively to the test administrator’s directions.
- Encourage your child to read each test question and each response carefully before selecting an answer.
- Do encourage your child to stay calm, if there are questions that seem difficult. (Encourage your child to choose his/her best answer).
- Provide positive feedback by praising your child for what he/she does well.
Please assist us by encouraging your child to perform to the best of his or her ability. For more information about testing or your child’s progress, please call your child’s school.