Materials Review Committee Pool Application
Greenville County Schools is soliciting an eligible pool to serve on the Elementary, Middle and High School Materials Review Committees for book challenges. The committees are responsible for handling complaints from the public concerning the appropriateness of instructional materials according to GCS Board Policy KNBA. The deadline for submitting interest forms is September 4, 2023.
The Committees will be composed as follows:
- Three parents, each of whom must have a child enrolled in a District elementary school
- Four District elementary school teachers, each of whom shall teach a different grade level
- One District elementary school media specialist
- Three parents, each of whom must have a child enrolled in a District middle school
- Three district middle school teachers, each of whom shall teach in a different discipline
- One District middle school media specialist
- Three parents, each of whom must have a child enrolled in a District high school
- Three District high school teachers, each of whom shall teach in a different discipline
- One District high school media specialist
- Two high school students
In addition to the above members, each committee will include as full members one member of the clergy and two other persons who are not employees of the District.
If selected, committee members will be eligible to serve one three-year term, 2023-26. At the end of the term, members will not be eligible to participate in a subsequent term. The pool must be approved by the Greenville County Board of Trustees. Any citizen living in the areas served by The School District of Greenville County who meets eligibility requirements may apply.
The current pool, approved by the Board of Trustees on September 27, 2022 is still eligible to serve through October of 2025. Approved members are not eligible to reapply until October of 2026.
Persons wishing to apply for the Elementary, Middle or High Materials Review Committees may apply online or by downloading the application and mailing/faxing it to the address below.