Posted: Monday, March 5, 2018
Come JOURNEY TO OTHER WORLDS with us for SPACE DAY at Roper Mountain Science Center! We have partnered with organizations from across the Upstate to bring interactive exhibits and hands-on activities that will inspire, awe and motivate you to LOOK UP and CATCH THE VISION of aviators and astronomers from the past, present and future! There will be something for all ages! Space Day 2018 celebration will take place 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, March 10 at Roper Mountain Science Center.
Space Day 2018 is supported by NASA Headquarters (Washington, DC), NASA Solar System Ambassadors, NASA James Webb Telescope Operations, Clemson University, Greenville Technical College, University of South Carolina Upstate, Embry Riddle Aeronautics-Worldwide, Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute (PARI), Purdue Club Upstate SC, Wade Hampton High School, Byrnes High School Honors Aviation, and the Western Carolina Remote Control Skyhawks,
Space Day 2018 activities include:
- Featured keynote speaker, Kevin Metrocavage- International Space Station Operations Manager from NASA Headquarters (Washington, DC) will be presenting “The International Space Station - Overview, Benefits for Humanity, and Mission Control Operations Perspective”
- You be the Pilot with Flight Simulators from Byrnes High School Honors Aviation
- USC Upstate students Explore Earth and Space Science with toolkits from the National Informal Stem Education Network- Stomp Rockets, Sun Magnetism, Pack a Telescope, and Craters
- Clemson University Emag!ne will let you get hands-on to help engineer the International Space Station to protect astronauts from dangers in space.
- Greenville Technical College Aviation Maintenance and Embry Riddle Aeronautics- Worldwide demonstrates a Gyroscope Suitcase, Bernoulli’s principle trainer, eddy current display, and a Turbine Ignition System. Design circuits and learn how to use electrical meters to measure current, voltage and resistance!
- Join NASA Solar System Ambassadors in building a water filtration system or complete a solar “walk-a-thon” (for a prize!)
- Experience what it’s like to be a “Clean room” operator with the James Webb Telescope Operations staff
- See a tabletop comet, look at emission spectra, and more with Clemson Physics and Astronomy
- Clemson Nanomaterials Institute hosts hands-on Nanoscience for Energy Storage in Space Applications
- The Clemson Nanomaterials Institute and Clemson University Electrochemical Society Student Chapter demonstrate hands-on energy related activities for kids of all ages.
- Find “hidden” images on the moon with Purdue Club of Upstate SC
- Visit the Space Discovery Lab with Wade Hampton High’s FIRST Robotics Team 283, The Generals and make orbit crafts, straw rockets, face painting, or get shrink wrapped
- Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute (PARI) offers AstroSurf with Smiley: Take data with a 4.6m radio telescope located in North Carolina! You are in charge of observing radio emissions from neutral hydrogen in our galaxy
- Blast off with our model rocket launches (approx. every 15 minutes) and test your own rocket balloon!
- Western Carolina Remote Control Club will be flying fixed wing helicopters and drones on the Living History Farm
- Skilled astronomers will be on hand to demonstrate and discuss telescopes with solar viewing at the Daniel Observatory
- Talk about space travelers! Join us in the butterfly garden to learn about the Monarch migration Greenville Master Gardeners will be available from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to talk about planting your own butterfly garden
- Enjoy additional activities across Roper Mountain on our Living History Farm.
- Automatic Taco, Chick Fil A and Snow Castle food available for purchase
Shows and show times in the Hooper Planetarium:
- 10 a.m., 12 p.m. & 2 p.m. – Cowboy Astronomer
- 11 a.m. & 1 p.m. - Two Small Pieces of Glass
Space Day hours 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission is: $8 for Teens and Adults (ages 13-59); $7 for children (ages 4-12) and for senior citizens (age 60 and over). Free for children age 3 and under, RMSC members, and school district employees. All events are included in the general admission to the Center. All events are included in the general admission to the Center.
Location: 402 Roper Mountain Road Greenville SC 29615
General information: RoperMountain.org or 864-355-8906