Superheroes are amazing! But what does it take to be a Superhero? What kind of powers do you need to stop the “villains”? Come find out using the power of science, art and engineering! Don’t forget to bring on your best Superhero look or make-up your own. Dress up and participate in our costume contest!
Join us for fun-filled hands-on activities and experiences for all ages. Superhero Science! takes place at Roper Mountain Science Center on Saturday October 8th from9AM to 3PM. Community partners include; Clemson University EMAG!NE, iMagine Upstate, Upstate SC STEM Collaborative, Richard’s Comics, U.S. Forest Service, PAWS Animal Wildlife Sanctuary and Sunstore Solar. This unique experience will allow visitors of all ages to explore the science and art behind superheroes!
A sampling of events throughout the Day:
- Bring on your best Superhero look at our Costume Contest at 1:00pm - 8 & Under, 9-12, 13-18 yrs. Prizes given for Most Creative and Most Original costumes!
- Storm's Weather Lab- Encounter the super powers of tornadoes, lightning storms, and make and take a wind-streamer.
- Build a Bat-Mobile- Be the Hero! Design a Bat-mobile out of Legos that will save the people and travel the fastest.
- Stark Industries Makerspace!- Tony Stark and Antman team up for hands-on maker experiences with Snap circuits, “cape” pops, and shrinking plastic!
- Making the (Wo)man of Steel with Clemson University EMAG!NE- Help protect the superhero's "tile" by designing a custom armor made from everyday materials. Test your superhero armor on the pendulum of doom!
- Harness the Sun, the source of Superman's power. How much power can you generate using solar panels?
- Live Owl Show! 9:30 am, 10:30 am and 11:30 am (25 min. presentations) presented by PAWS Animal Wildlife Sanctuary in Symmes Hall Auditorium. Highly developed vision and hearing, and almsot silent flight give this creature true superpowers!
- Green Screen Photo Booth- Put yourself in the action! Have your photo taken in the Superhero Universe! Photo sheets $5.
- Richard's Comics- Are you Marvel or DC? We’ve got both! See comic book artists in action!
- Test your archery skills in Hawkeye's Archery Zone on the Living History Farm.
- Observe the sun with Roper Mountain Astronomers in the Daniel Observatory. Come back from 6:30-10:00 pm for International Observe the Moon Night!
- Superhero Agility Training- Join our trainers for active and fun challenges on our NEW low ropes course to develop your physical and mental powers (30 min sessions, ages 9 and up, max 30 participants)! 10am, 11am, 12:30pm
- SC Upstate Heroes! See Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batgirl and more all around the mountain,
- Come to the Butterfly Garden to learn about the Monarch Butterfly and its migration happening now!
- Spiderman vs. Real Spider Powers and Bat Facts vs. Myths with Bat biologists from the U.S. Forest Service!
- Superpower Design Lab- Test your design skills for maximum flight as you create a Superpower Cape that will fly in our Vertical Wind Tunnel!
- Be the Human Torch- See yourself in a different light (through our Infrared Camera)!
- Is there anything a hissing cockroach or tree frog can't climb? Discover some amazing feats of tropical animals.
- Enjoy our touch tanks and take the Aquaman Scavenger Hunt Challenge
- Food available from Chick Fil-A and Fuddruckers 11am- 1:30pm
Superhero Science! Saturday hours are 9:00 AM-3:00 PM. Admission is: $7 for children (ages 5-12); $8 for Teens and Adults (ages 13-59); and $7 for senior citizens (age 60 and over). All events are included in the general admission to the Center. Free for children age 4 and under, RMSC Association members, or School District Employees.