STEMFest –Maker Extravaganza!
Explore. Create. Make!!! Discover the world of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) that shapes our every day lives! Roper Mountain Science Center, local engineers and scientists celebrate STEM with fun-filled hands-on activities for all ages. STEMFest takes place at Roper Mountain Science Center on February 13th from9AM to 3PM. Community partners; AFL, Clemson University Engineering, Fluor, GE/ASME, Greenville Drive, Greenville Technical College, I2Pi, iMagine Upstate, J. Harley Bonds Career Center, kVA, Lockheed Martin, Michelin, students from East North Street Academy, Upstate SC STEM Collaborative and the WHHS General Robotics Team will participate in the event. “Fluor is delighted to support and participate in Roper Mountain’s annual STEMFest event. This is a unique experience for children and adults to explore the exciting real-world applications of STEM.”- Cheryl Wiggins, Senior Manager of Community Affairs, Fluor
- Fluor will provide Engineering Challenges to make circuits, polymers, acids and bases and more! Learn what engineers do and take their bridge design challenge!
- Making Future Engineers! GE and American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) help you become the engineer in the GE design center!
- Explore fiber optic technology with AFL scientist and “race” to make a power grid!
- IT2Pi will showcase an array of technologies, including Raspberry Pi, home automation with Arduinos and a demo of the Google Glass!
- Meet Michelin tire designers and explore computer aided drafting and design with LEGOs!
- Make a unique steel Valentine’s Day project with Clemson School of Engineering and EMAGINE!!
- Roper Mountain Makerspace!!!- BE the maker! Explore littleBits circuits, design and test a Mars Lander, make a holographic viewer and more with Roper Mountain Staff and kVA .
- FIRST Robotics Team 283, The Generals- Check out their cool BIG robot demonstration!!
- STEAM Tech Teams will demonstrate 3D printers, prosthetic hands, quadcopters and other state of the art technologies!
- Greenville Technical College will exhibit their STEM programs such as Mechanical Engineering, Construction Technology, Automotive Technology, Aircraft Technology and more!
- iMagine Upstate and the Upstate SC STEM Collaborative will team up for unique Maker Design Challenges! Build a Gumdrop Bridge or use your creativity to construct a custom backscratcher.
- J Harley Bonds Career Center will be bringing the NAO humanoid robot! A must see!
- East North Street Academy students will collaborate with you to explore force and motion and by building crash vehicles to keep raw eggs (yes! raw eggs…!) safe in a collision.
- Visitors will also have the opportunity to visit with Greenville Drive mascot REEDY RIP’IT! The DRIVE will also be on hand to give away cool prizes!
- Spheros! You've seen it in Star Wars,, now come play with this cool new robotic technology!
- Drone demos will take place at various locations across the mountain.
- Great Backyard Bird Count- Be a citizen scientist and learn to identify and count birds for this annual event.
- On the Living History Farm see weaving, blacksmithing, hearth cooking, go on a simple machine scavenger hunt, test your strength with pulleys, and make something sweet for your Valentine in the schoolhouse!
- Food provided by Automatic Taco Food Truck!!!
- Activities will be ongoing in the Marine Lab, Tropical Rainforest, Daniel Observatory, and the T.C. Hooper Planetarium.
STEMFest Saturday hours are 9:00 AM-3:00 PM. Admission is: $7 for children (ages 5-12); $8 for Teens and Adults (ages 13-59); and $7 for senior citizens (age 60 and over). All events are included in the general admission to the Center. Free for children age 4 and under, RMSC Association members, or School District Employees.