Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015
Chuck Saylors, a member of the Greenville County Schools Board of Trustees, was elected secretary of the South Carolina School Boards Association (SCSBA) during the association’s annual Delegate Assembly this past Saturday, December 5. Also, Board Member Kenneth Baxter was elected the Region 15 Director of the SCSBA.
The association’s annual business meeting, which was held during the association’s Legislative Advocacy Conference, included voting delegates from most of the state’s 81 school boards. In addition to electing association officers, delegates adopted resolutions to guide the association during the 2016 legislative session.
The South Carolina School Boards Association is a non-profit organization serving as a source of information and a statewide voice for boards governing the state’s 81 school districts.
Saylors was elected to the Greenville County Schools Board in 2002. He has served on numerous committees while on the Greenville Board. He has served on the South Carolina Association of School Administrators board since 2013. In 2009, he was elected as the first male president of the National Parent Teacher Association (PTA), a position he held for two years. Saylors is the vice president of the Construction Management Division of MB Kahn Construction Company. He and his wife Teresa have four children and four granddaughters.
Baxter has served on the Greenville County Schools Board since 2012. He spent eight years as a special education paraprofessional in Greenville County schools and retired as a logistics manager with AT&T. He is past president of the School Improvement Council at Carolina High Academy. Baxter and his wife Linda have two children and three granddaughters.
Other officers elected to lead the association’s board of directors for a one-year term are:
- President, Kathy Coleman, Saluda County Schools
- President-elect, Queenie Boyd, Lee County School District
- Vice President, John Wesley Hightower, Aiken County Public School District
- Treasurer, Tony Folk, Dorchester School District Four
Others elected to serve a four-year term on the 22-member board of directors as regional directors are:
- Region 1 Director, Gail Hughes, Dorchester School District Two
- Region 3 Director, Johnny Wilson, Georgetown County School District
- Region 7 Director, Mary Ulmer, Orangeburg Consolidated School District Five
- Region 11 Director, James Doug Atkins, Anderson School District One