Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2015
GCS Educators Earn 2016 National Board Certification
Three Greenville County Schools’ educators have earned 2016 National Board Certification, and 28 have met NBCT renewal requirements, one of the teaching profession’s most respected achievements.
With 683 teachers who have achieved National Board Certification, Greenville County Schools ranks 13th in the nation out of more than 14,000 school districts (based on most recent data) for total number of NBC teachers. GCS also has more NBCTs than 25 states. South Carolina ranks third in the nation with 8,863 NBC teachers, behind North Carolina and Florida.
Teachers seeking National Board Certification undertake a two-part process that takes from one to three years to complete. The process requires candidates to reflect on their classroom practices, assess their understanding of subject material and examine their preparation techniques. In addition to preparing a portfolio with videotapes of classroom teaching, lesson plans, student work samples and reflective essays, teachers must complete assessment center exercises based on content knowledge that prove they have mastered the subjects they teach and also possess the skills to teach them.
Candidates consistently report that collaboration with other NBCTs and candidates eases the burden of the process. To this end, the Center for Educator Recruitment, Retention and Advancement (CERRA) has created an infrastructure of support that includes a district liaison in each of the state’s 84 school districts and a National Board Toolkit comprised of PowerPoints, handouts, and activities to assist candidates as they move through the certification process. CERRA also collaborates with other state agencies including the State Department of Education, The South Carolina Education Association, and Palmetto State Teachers Association to provide workshops and awareness sessions for candidates.
Teachers interested in pursuing the certification for the 2016-17 National Board cycle can access further information on the CERRA Website.
2016 National Board Certified Teachers (New)
- Eastside High - Robert Henderson
- J. L. Mann Academy - Rachel Patterson
- Oakview Elementary - Judy Perecko
2016 National Board Certified Teachers (Renewals)
- Brushy Creek Elementary - David Janiskee
- Eastside High - Theresa Lordemann
- Eastside High - Patricia Rhoney
- Greenville Middle Academy - Sarah Evanson-Atkinson
- Greenville High Academy - Amy Maynor
- Greer Middle - Marie Patrick
- Hillcrest Middle - Catherine Adams
- Hillcrest Middle - Kimberly Long
- J. L. Mann Academy - Jennifer Cook
- J. L. Mann Academy - Jefferson Duncan
- League Academy - Rebecca Leonard
- Pelham Road Elementary - Jere Coker
- Plain Elementary - Tina Hamilton
- Riverside High - Julie Teague
- Riverside Middle - Andrea Rhodes
- Sara Collins Elementary - Carrie Johnson
- Sevier Middle - Ginger Barbare
- Sterling School - Anna Dean
- Stone Academy - Laura Reed
- Stone Academy - Cameron Patton
- Summit Drive Elementary - Christopher Minard
- Monaview Elementary - Julie Dennison
- Westcliffe Elementary - Scott Eron
- Woodmont High - Matthew Evans
- Wade Hampton High - James Johnston
- Wade Hampton High - Cynthia Agee
- Woodland Elementary - Angela Hall
- Woodland Elementary - Angela Watts