Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015
American Education Week - November 16-20, 2015
Thursday, November 19 - Operations/Maintenance Staff Appreciation Day
Today we are celebrating the extraordinary men and women who maintain more than 100 facilities covering 12 million square feet and 3,000 acres.
Jarvis Robinson, Warehouse
The best part of Jarvis Robinson’s job is knowing that he plays a part in making educators’ jobs a little easier. Robinson enjoys his job at the warehouse because he loves to make a difference in people’s lives. He’s been employed with GCS for seven years.
Dylan Norris, Custodian, Bell’s Crossing Elementary
Bell’s Crossing Elementary custodian Dylan Norris puts the children, teachers, parents, and community first as he serves his school. No job is too small or too big for Mr. Norris. He often anticipates the needs of others and offers to help in any capacity. He exemplifies teamwork and selfless service. Mr. Norris said, "I really enjoy my job. Greenville County Schools is a good place to work, and I enjoy working with everyone here."
Lois Whiteside, Security System Monitor
Lois Whiteside monitors the alarm systems for every school and facility. Her responsibilities include testing the systems to ensure they are running smoothly as well as monitoring HVAC systems and other major systems, dispatching staff when repairs are needed. She took over supervisory duties during an employee’s medical leave, saying “running the show came naturally” as she is also a mother of five. She works full time, is on duty every other weekend, and still has time to pursue a degree from Greenville Tech.
- Monday, November 16 - School Support Staff Appreciation Day
- Tuesday, November 17 - Transportation Staff Appreciation Day
- Wednesday, November 18 - Educator Appreciation Day
Inspiration happens here every day. Powerful. Enlightening. Limitless.
Greenville County Schools is celebrating American Education Week with other schools and districts across the nation during the week of November 16-20 with the theme Inspiration happens here every day. Powerful. Enlightening. Limitless.
Greenville County Schools, the nation’s 44th largest school district, understands and encourages the active involvement of parents, volunteers, and the community as our more than 5,000 teachers inspire young people to work together to educate college- and career-ready graduates.
Schools will host special events during the week to spotlight teachers and other staff. Parents and other community members are invited to visit a local school to observe the outstanding students, staff and programs of Greenville County Schools.
About Greenville County Schools
- Largest District in SC; 44th Largest in Nation
- More than 76,000 Students in Grades K-12
- The GCS Class of 2015 received $118.5 million in college scholarships.
- About 15% of our students attend school on choice, making GCS the state leader.
- GCS students scored above the state and national averages on the SAT and ACT College Entrance Tests.
- Nine out of 10 GCS juniors earned National Career Readiness Certificates.
- About 9,600 Employees; About 5,000 Teachers
- 99% of teachers are highly qualified content experts.
- GCS boasts more National Board Certified Teachers (667) than 24 states, and we rank 13th of 14,000 school districts in the nation for total number of NBCTs.
- Elementary - 51
- Middle - 20
- High - 14
- Centers - 17 (Career, Child Development, Special)