Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Bus Transportation Appreciation Day
- GCS employs more than 350 bus drivers
- In Greenville County, 356 school buses transport 27,000 children every day.
- Our buses travel more than 37,200 miles per day – that’s more than a trip around the world, every day!
Donald Kelly, Bus Driver, Donaldson Bus Center
Donald Kelly retired from General Electric after 31 years as a machinist. He soon realized his grass didn't need to be cut that often, so he started looking for something else to do. A neighbor who was a GCS bus driver encouraged him to apply. He was hired 12 years ago, and according to Donald, "Driving a bus is great job for a retiree like me because it gives you time to do things you enjoy in between routes and in the summer months."
Sheila Bakerian, Bus Driver, Golden Strip Bus Center
Sheila Bakerian has been a school bus driver for 12 years. Her mother was a bus driver. After her mother passed away, a few of her mom's driver friends encouraged Sheila to take up the torch. One of them even let her sit in the driver's seat. A diminutive four-feet-eleven-inches, Sheila is "little but fierce." Because of her small size, Sheila says, "I'm always up for a challenge." What does she think about her job today? Sheila is enthusiastic about her work, saying, "It’s fun. I enjoy what I do!"
Greenville County Schools Celebrates American Education Week
November 17-21 Recognizes Public School Employees
Greenville County Schools will celebrate American Education Week with other schools and districts across the nation during the week of November 17-21. The theme, Raise Your Hand for Student Success! reinforces the fact that all employees, from teachers to food service to custodians, are actively involved in provide a quality education for our students.
Greenville County Schools, the nation’s 45th largest school district, understands and encourages the active involvement of parents, volunteers, and the community as our more than 5,000 teachers inspire young people to reach for the stars and build plans for their futures.
Schools will host special events during the week to spotlight teachers and other staff. Parents and other community members are invited to visit a local school to observe the outstanding students, staff and programs of Greenville County Schools.
About Greenville County Schools
Nationally Accredited School District
- Greenville County Schools received National Accreditation from the AdvancED Accreditation Commission, recognizing the school system as a high quality school district and granting full accreditation to the school district and all of its schools.
- Largest District in SC; 45th Largest in Nation
- More than 72,000 Students in Grades K-12
- The GCS Class of 2014 received $113.9 million in college scholarships.
- About 10,000 students (15%) attend school on choice, making GCS the state leader.
- GCS students consistently outperform the state and nation on the ACT college entrance test.
- About 9,500 Employees; About 5,000 Teachers
- 99% of teachers are highly qualified content experts.
- GCS boasts more National Board Certified Teachers (659) than 24 states, and we rank 14th of 14,000 school districts in the nation for total number of NBCTs.
Schools - 100
- Elementary - 51
- Middle - 20
- High - 14
- Centers - 17 (Career, Child Development, Special)