Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014
GCS Has 8 of Top 19 High Schools in State!
Eight GCS high schools have earned a ranking on Washington Post’s Most Challenging High Schools list. They are:
- Southside High – SC Rank = 2; National Rank = 193
- J. L. Mann High Academy – SC Rank = 7; National Rank = 726
- Eastside High – SC Rank = 8; National Rank = 791
- Wade Hampton High – SC Rank = 9; National Rank = 835
- Mauldin High – SC Rank = 15; National Rank = 1,422
- Greenville Sr. High Academy – SC Rank = 16; National Rank = 1,551
- Riverside High – SC Rank = 18; National Rank = 1,845
- Hillcrest High – SC Rank = 19; National Rank = 1,863
According to the Washington Post survey, the Challenge index is designed to identify high schools that are currently doing the best job of preparing students for college-level work. The index score is the number of college-level tests (AP, IB and AICE) given at a school in 2013 divided by the number of graduates that year. Also noted are the percentage of students who come from families that qualify for free and reduced lunch.
There are over 27,000 high schools nationwide, and South Carolina has 251 high schools. More than 2,000 schools were ranked in the Most Challenging High Schools list.