Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014
Buena Vista Elementary SIC Named Finalist for Dick and Tunky Riley Award
Buena Vista Elementary’s School Improvement Council (SIC) has been named one of five finalists for the Dick and Tunky Riley Award for School Improvement Council Excellence. The award is presented to SICs to recognize the significant contributions made to public education by SIC members.
Buena Vista SIC Accomplishments:
- Developed a new logo to rebrand the school as “Someplace Special”
- Facilitated Early Riser program for students in grades 3-5 who scored Not Met on PASS
- Hosted programs to welcome community members and new parents
- Wrote grants for Healthy Air and a sunshade for playground
- Participated on nutrition task force to support culinary program
- Initiated Bobcat Boulder to raise funds for SIC programs
- Collaborated with PTA and guidance to develop programs to benefit school and community
- Initiated Bobcat BrainBuilder in-school tutoring program
The other finalists are Irmo High SIC (District 5 of Lexington & Richland Counties); Okatie Elementary SIC (Beaufort County School District); Port Royal Elementary SIC (Beaufort County School District); and Ridge View High SIC (Richland School District 2).
The winner of the 2014 Riley Award will be selected from this year’s finalists and announced at the SC-SIC Annual Meeting, Saturday, March 22, 2014, in Columbia.
The SC-SIC Riley Award is named in honor of former South Carolina Governor and U.S. Education Secretary Richard Riley and his late wife, Tunky, and recognizes the couple’s longstanding commitment to quality public education.