American Education Week Celebration
November 18-22 Recognizes Public School Employees
Greenville County Schools will celebrate American Education Week with other schools and districts across the nation during the week of November 18-22. The theme, Great Public Schools: A Basic Right and Our Responsibility, emphasizes the importance of providing every child with a quality public education.
Greenville County Schools, the nation’s 45th largest school district, understands and encourages the active involvement of parents, volunteers, and the community as our 5,000 teachers educate and inspire more than 71,000 young people.
Schools will host special events during the week to spotlight teachers and other staff. Parents and other community members are invited to visit a local school to observe the outstanding students, staff and programs of Greenville County Schools.
About Greenville County Schools
- Nationally Accredited School District
Greenville County Schools received National Accreditation from the AdvancED Accreditation Commission, recognizing the school system as a high quality school district and granting full accreditation to the school district and all of its schools.
- Largest District in SC; 45th Largest in Nation
- More than 71,000 Students in Grades K-12
- The GCS Class of 2013 received more than $106 million in college scholarships.
- Nine out of 10 graduates attend college, with many enrolling in the Nation’s most prestigious universities.
- About 10,000 students (15%) attend school on choice, making GCS the state leader.
- GCS students consistently outperform the Nation on the ACT college entrance test.
About 9,500 Employees; About 5,000 Teachers
- 99% of teachers are highly qualified content experts.
- GCS boasts more National Board Certified Teachers (646) than 24 states, and we rank 14th of 14,000 school districts in the nation for total number of NBCTs.
Schools - 100
- Elementary - 51
- Middle - 18
- High - 14
- Centers - 17 (Career, Child Development, Special)