Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Nine GCS Students Earn National Merit College-Sponsored Scholarships
Nine seniors from Greenville County Schools are among the 2,500 winners of National Merit Scholarships financed by U.S. colleges and universities. Officials of each sponsor college selected their scholarship winners from among the finalists in the 2013 National Merit Scholarship Program who plan to attend their institution.
These awards provide between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship. An additional group of Scholars will be announced in July, bringing the total number of college-sponsored National Merit Scholarship recipients in the 2013 competition to about 4,500 nationwide.
- Thomas C. Guryan, Eastside High/Clemson University – Marine Biology
- Olivia L. Svacha, Eastside High/Auburn University – Biomedicine
- Danielle C. Godfrey, J. L. Mann High Academy/University of South Carolina – Bioengineering
- Jacob C. Jones, J. L. Mann High Academy/Northwestern University – Bioinformatics
- William Allen, Riverside High/University of South Carolina – Business
- Nicholas W. Brown, Riverside High/College of Charleston – International Business
- Kimberly Wen-Lu Wang, Riverside High/University of Southern California – Accounting
- Harshita Jain, Southside High Academy/University of South Carolina, - Public Health
- Brendan G. Williams, Southside High Academy/Georgia Institute of Technology – Military Service