Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013
41 GCS Schools Earn Energy Star Rating
Number of participating schools more than tripled in one year
The number of Greenville County Schools that have earned the Energy Star Rating from the Environmental Protection Agency has more than tripled in the last year, from 13 to 41, saving the district approximately $2.5 million per year in energy costs.
The Energy Star label is awarded when a building has documented superior energy performance with measurable results on the energy it consumes. The EPA energy performance rating system includes metrics that provide feedback on whether the energy goals are met and how to operate better performing buildings. Buildings that achieve an EPA rating of 75 or higher are eligible for the Energy Star label.
- The savings were attained through no-cost behavior modifications and improvements in the operation of the HVAC systems.
- Staff and students were given information on how they could help save energy, such as turning off lights and computers when not in use, keeping doors and windows shut, and reducing plug loads including personal appliances.
- The Energy Management Department conducted building audits after regular business hours to identify and turn off equipment that had been left on at the end of the day.
- The building HVAC control system software was optimized for maximum efficiency by the Energy Management Department and the local HVAC control system service provider.
- Aggressive time of day scheduling was established for the HVAC system to minimize equipment operations, with a maximum heating temperature of 69 degrees and a minimum cooling temperature of 73 degrees.
The goal of the Energy Management Department is to have all 100+ GCS facilities earn the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star rating. Last year, thirteen facilities were recognized with the Energy Star label. Schools earning the Energy Star rating for the 2012-2013 school year are:
High Schools (8):
- Berea High School
- Eastside High School
- Greer High School
- Hillcrest High School
- J.L. Mann High Academy
- Riverside High School
- Southside High School
- Travelers Rest High School
Middle Schools (4):
- Hillcrest Middle School
- League Academy
- Mauldin Middle School
- Woodmont Middle School
Elementary Schools (29):
- A.J. Whittenberg Elementary School
- Augusta Circle Elementary School
- Bells Crossing Elementary School
- Bethel Elementary School
- Brushy Creek Elementary School
- Chandler Creek Elementary School