Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013
Roper Mountain Science Center Presents Engineer-It Family Day
Discover what amazing things engineers do every day to make the world a better place! Roper Mountain Science Center and local engineers celebrate engineering with fun-filled Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) activities for kids and adults. Engineer-It Family Day takes place at Roper Mountain Science Center on February 9 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. This event is supported by community partners Clemson University, FIRST Robotics, Fluor, GE/ASME, Greenville Drive, Greenville Tech, Lockheed Martin, Milliken, Purdue Engineer Alumni and Southside Automated Machines team.
A sampling of STEM events throughout the Day for Families
- Fluor will provide Engineering Challenges for children ages 6-12 (scouts and non-scouts). Webelo scouts can earn requirements towards their “Engineering” badge and Jr. Girl Scouts can earn requirements for their “Making It Matter” badge.
- “Energizing Future Engineers” GE Engineers help you become the engineer in the student design center!
- Race your Engin-eer! Join the race as Lockheed Martin Engineers will help you discover what lawnmower engines and airplanes have in common!
- Visitors will also have the opportunity to meet the Greenville Drive baseball team’s mascot REEDY RIP’IT! Enter a raffle for baseball tickets!
- FIRST Robotics teams will share their amazing winning robots and projects.
- Brainstorm with Milliken engineers as they demonstrate how new products are developed!
- Explore the world of cryogenics! Milliken presents their “super cool” science show!
- What do robots do in the real world? Greenville Tech will present their manufacturing robot and let visitors experience a Segway!
- Investigate concrete and steel and make a unique Valentine’s Day project with Clemson Engineering!
- Create-a-Critter with Purdue Engineering Alumni as you learn about the world of mechanical engineering!
Roper Mountain Science Center is open to the public on the Second Saturday of each month. Activities will be ongoing in the Rainforest Classroom, Marine Lab, Tropical Rainforest Habitat, Daniel Observatory, Health Education Center, and the T.C. Hooper Planetarium.
Engineer-It Family Day Saturday hours are 9:00 AM-1:00 PM. Admission is: $5 for children (age 6-12); $6 for Teens and Adults (ages 13-59); and $5 for senior citizens (age 60 and over). All events are included in the general admission to the Center. No admission is charged for children 5, RMSC Association members, or School District employees.
Roper Mountain Science Center is owned and operated by Greenville County Schools as an educational resource for teachers, students, families and adults. Roper Mountain Science Center is located at 402 Roper Mountain Road, Greenville, South Carolina. Check out the RMSC website for directions to the Center or information about special events and other programs. For further information, please call the Center at (864) 355-8900.