Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2013
School counselors are an integral part of the entire school community. National School Counseling Week, celebrated February 4-8, highlights the tremendous impact school counselors have in helping students achieve school success and plan for a career.
Through collaboration with parents, teachers, administrators, and students, these professionals are actively engaged in helping students identify their abilities, strengths, interests, and talents. They focus on positive ways to enhance students' social, educational, and career development, and they work with teachers and other educators to provide resources and support so each student can realize his or her potential.
Greenville County Schools recognizes the Woodland Elementary School counseling program, which has been recently honored with a Recognized ASCA Model Program (RAMP) designation for its outstanding school counseling program.
"Our counseling program focuses on how best to meet the needs of all of our students," said Counselor Elizabeth All. "It is designed to help parents understand the developmental stages and needs of their child, and encourage them to work with their child’s teachers to develop school success strategies." Counselor Sharon Kirton said that the evaluation component will be an extremely important step in assuring that goals are being met and realigned when necessary. She added that the counseling program receives tremendous support and encouragement from the administration.
School counselors help students:
- Build positive self-concepts
- Develop healthy relationships
- Respect and appreciate others
- Resolve conflicts and set goals
- Make healthy choices
- Achieve basic skills
- Develop effective study habits and test-taking skills
- Set appropriate educational goals
- Position themselves for global learning
- Understand and apply interests, aptitudes, skills, and abilities
- Explore options and alternatives
- Explore careers and use career information effectively
- Learn to work together
- Develop and use problem-solving skills
School counselors facilitate student activities by:
- Working with entire classes, small groups, and individual students
- Working with students as they grow through normal developmental stages
- Consulting with teachers and parents
- Implementing a comprehensive and developmental guidance program
- Guiding in the decision making process concerning academics, careers, and future goals
- Providing parenting education
School counselors assist with:
- Coordinating career education
- Conducting orientations
- Interpreting tests and permanent record information
- Referrals for special needs students
- Financial aid for further education