It is expected that the personal grooming and the clothes worn by the students at Mauldin will reflect good taste, good judgment, and cleanliness. While no attempt is made to dictate fashion for individuals, the administration reserves the right to determine when the overall appearance of an individual student is detrimental to the well being of the school and its students.
The following basic guidelines will be followed at all times at Mauldin Middle School (also see District Code of Conduct):
- Leggings are not to be worn as pants. Leggings are allowed under clothing that meets the dress code.
- Shorts, dresses, and skirts must be no higher than one ID card length from the top of the knee when standing up straight.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. All sandals must have a hard sole. Bedroom slippers and shower shoes are prohibited.
- All shirts/tops must be at least one ID card width at the shoulder. Low cut tops, tanks, and off-the-shoulder shirts are prohibited.
- No see-through garments.
- No cut-off pants, yoga pants, biker shorts or pajamas.
- No studded belts, bracelets or chains.
- No hats, bandanas, skullies, curlers or sunglasses.
- Undergarments are to be covered by outer clothing.
- No pants or shorts hanging too far below the waistline (no “sagging”).
- No midriffs (tops must meet bottoms); no skin showing between top and bottom.
- No skin showing through the jeans above the knee.
- No profane or vulgar language; no drawings containing alcohol, tobacco or illegal drug advertisements on any part of clothing or jewelry.
Dress Code Checks
Teachers will check all students during announcements for appropriateness of their attire and their IDs. At that time, students inappropriately attired will be sent to the office or their grade level administrator as early as possible. Students will be given the option to call their parents for a change of clothes.
Failure to comply with the dress code policy may result in disciplinary consequences. The administration reserves the right to make the final decision regarding the attire.