Oakview at a Glance
Oakview Elementary, located in the fastest growing area of Greenville County, the Golden Strip, opened its doors in August 1995. Oakview was named for the 300 year old oak tree that stands at the front of the school. Two sisters, Margaret and Charlotte Greene, submitted the name that was chosen in a “Name the School” contest. The tree represents strength, growth and a strong foundation, just as Oakview Elementary helps students to grow and develop a strong academic foundation.
Students at Oakview come to us from 14 different countries around the world. They also come with various languages spoken in the home - 19 languages other than English are represented by our culturally diverse students.
MISSION, VISION, & BELIEFS
The mission of Oakview Elementary School, in cooperation with our students' homes and the community, is to prepare students with strong character who are college and career ready, responsible citizens, and lifelong learners by:
- Opening opportunities for all students,
- Accepting individual differences,
- Keeping our focus on math, reading, and writing,
- Varying teaching techniques,
- Identifying and addressing each student's strengths/weaknesses and
- Engaging students in meaningful learning activities while
- Working collaboratively as a team.
We envision a school:
- With adequate funding to support the curriculum and instructional needs
- With a positive learning environment that inspires students to achieve to their fullest potential and become productive citizens
- That produces students who think critically, solve problems, reason, and get along with others
- Where students are active participants in a comprehensive academic program
- Where students are provided opportunities to experience and develop skills for technology
Where collaborative support and communication between home, school, and community is essential for an effective educational program
- With an appreciation and awareness of cultural and ethic diversity
Beliefs...Statements of fundamental truths which form the foundation of Oakview Elementary School's educational system.
- Children learn best in a safe, healthy, and nurturing environment that creates students who are empathetic, respectful, resilient, and act with integrity.
- All students are capable of learning and have the right to the same educational opportunities that evolve and change to reflect the world around them.
- Children will learn to communicate and collaborate effectively, solve problems competently, think critically and creatively, and act responsibly.
- Children will be engaged in a variety of differentiated instructional strategies and experiences for active participation in the learning process.
- Children deserve a highly competent faculty and staff that will develop a culture to meet the needs of students socially, emotionally, and academically.
- Education is a shared responsibility involving student, parent, school, community, and school district.
About our Principal