Hollis Academy - About Us
Hollis Academy serves approximately 680 students. Hollis classrooms have a reduced student-teacher ratio. In addition to small class sizes, a master schedule has been developed to increase students’ time in core subject areas. Intervention programs such as Early Success and Leveled Literacy Intervention have been implemented in Kindergarten through second grades. These intervention programs address the language skill needs of identified students in a structured format. Four full-day kindergarten classes prepare students for first grade. A parent facilitator plans workshops for parents to assist children and promote success. The school has a Leadership Team. There is also a variety of Professional Learning Communities that discuss school-wide curriculum issues and programs. Hollis returned to a traditional calendar in 2008-2009.
Title I funds provide many different educational activities in which the parent and child can learn together. Some of those opportunities are for parents in the areas of parenting skills, academics, literacy, and use of technology. It also helps with childcare, postage, snacks appropriate for meetings, and educational and instructional materials available for parental checkout.
The Mission of Hollis Academy is for students to be self-motivated problem solvers and lifelong learners who demonstrate mastery of all grade level standards. An exemplary faculty and staff will provide a safe, nurturing learning environment supported by parents and the larger community.
- All children will be exposed to a well established curriculum that encopasses ongoing assessments that guide instruction.
- Students will learn in a safe, friendly, and nurturing environment where they feel welcome and eager to learn.
- The curriculum will be adapted to guide instruction, based on scientific research, and strategically planned.
- Faculty and staff will be trained on an ongoing basis to establish continuity of instruction throughout the school.
- Hollis Academy will address instruction in a hands-on, creative, and captivating approach.