School Improvement Council
About School Improvement Council:
The School Improvement Council (SIC) serves as an advisory committee to a school's principal and
faculty. Unlike PTA and other voluntary school organizations, councils are mandated by law to exist in
every public school in South Carolina. SICs play a key role in the education of our state's children,
bringing together parents, educators and community stakeholders to work collectively to improve their
local schools. More than 16,000 people serve on SICs in South Carolina.
The Key functions of the SIC are as follows:
- Work with the school to develop and implement a five-year school improvement plan (school renewal plan).
- Monitor and evaluate success in reaching the plan's goals and objectives.
- Write a “Report to the Community” annual report to parents about the progress of the plan.
- Serve as liaison between the school, school organization, the community, and the local school board
- Assist Chandler Creek Elementary School’s principal, Mrs. Mills, in writing the narrative for the School Report Card.
- Advise on the use of school incentive awards and provide assistance as requested by the principal.
- Serves as an Advisory Committee to Mrs. Mills and the rest of the faculty.
According to Draft By-Laws, all council meetings are open to the public and anyone showing an interest in the council and its activities are encouraged to attend. Persons interested in presenting at a council meeting may request to be put on the agenda no later than seven days before the meeting date. Meetings are held on the fourth Thursday of every month and begin at 12:00 p.m.
2017-2018 SIC Officers:
- Leigh Ryan, Chairman
- Beth Waters, Vice Chairman
- Marne Dumas, Secretary
- Mandi White, Riley Award Chair
SIC Meeting Dates:
Click on Meeting Dates to read Minutes
- September 27, 2018
- October 25, 20178
- November 29, 2018
- January 24, 2019
- February 28, 2019
- March 28, 2019
- April 25, 2019
- May 23, 2019