School Improvement Council
What is a School Improvement Council?
The School Improvement Council (SIC) serves as an advisory committee to a school's principal and faculty. Unlike PTSA and other voluntary school organizations, councils are mandated by law to exist in every public school in South Carolina. SICs play a key role in the education of our children, bringing together parents, educators and community stakeholders to collaborate on the improvement of their local school.
Who May Serve on a Council?
If you are a parent or community member interested in serving on our Chandler Creek Middle School Improvement Council for 2023-24, please contact Cassandra Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Almost anyone is eligible to serve on a School Improvement Council - parents, teachers, business partners, and community leaders. The average council has about 12 members; two thirds of the members must be elected parents and teachers. The principal appoints the remaining third of the council, careful to ensure broad representation from the larger school community including non-parent taxpayers who have a special expertise or perspective.
The principal serves as an ex-officio member of the council as do a variety of other people by virtue of their position at the school. Ex-officio members may include the PTA president, parent liaison, business partners, last year's SIC Chair; the number depends on the school's needs.
The Key functions of the SIC
- Work with the school to develop and implement a five-year school improvement plan (school renewal plan).
- Monitor and evaluate success in reaching the plan's goals and objectives.
- Write a “Report to the Community” annual report to parents about the progress of the plan.
- Serve as liaison between the school, school organization, the community, and the local school board
- Assist Chandler Creek Elementary School’s principal, Mrs. Mills, in writing the narrative for the School Report Card.
- Advise on the use of school incentive awards and provide assistance as requested by the principal.
- Serves as an Advisory Committee to Mrs. Mills and the rest of the faculty.
2023-2024 Meeting Dates
- August 31st at 6:00pm (zoom)
- September 28th at 8:30am (in-person and zoom)
- October 26th at 6:00pm (in-person and zoom)
- January 25th at 8:30am (in-person and zoom)
- February 29th at 6:00pm (zoom)
- March 28th at 8:30am (in-person and zoom)
- April 25th at 6:00pm (zoom)
Chandler Creek Elementary School SIC 2023-2024
- Johanna Bertine - Parent (Co-Chair) - email@example.com
- Katie Jeter - Parent (Co-Chair) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cassandra Davis - CCES Principal - email@example.com
- Meredith Hitch - Teacher
- Jenny Dehlinger - Teacher
- Traycee Bedford - Teacher
- Ashiedu Adenipekum - Parent
- Ben Montgomery - Parent
- Lindsay Stevens - Parent
- Lanita Williams - Parent
- Kristi Harrington - Community Member
- Stephanie Lackey - Community Member
- Justin Miller - Community Member
- Kate Canterbury - CCES Assistant Principal
- Brenda Montalvo - CCES Parent Liaison
- Josh Rice - CCES Assistant Principal
CCES SIC Bylaws