2018 Report To The Parents
A HERITAGE OF EXCELLENCE WITH A VISION FOR
CREATING A PROFESSIONAL, COLLABORATIVE
LEARNING COMMUNITY THAT FOCUSES ON STUDENT
ACHIEVEMENT THROUGH THE INTEGRATION OF
TECHNOLOGY AND THE ARTS WITHIN A RIGOROUS
Welcome to the Hillcrest Middle Attendance Information Page.
You can find answers to questions you may have regarding your child's attendance. Please feel free to call our school office for any questions at 355-6101
Here are a few reminders to help you and your student have a successful year at HMS:
School starts promptly at 8:25am.
No early dismissals after 2:45pm.
Students are allowed to miss 10 school days each year.
School is dismissed at 3:15 pm.
A parent must send a note for ANY absence or it will remain unexcused.
Students should be picked up from school no later than 3:45 pm.
Email a Scanned Doctor's Excuse - email@example.com
1. All students can learn.
2. A student’s self-esteem is enhanced by positive relationships and mutual respect among and between students and staff.
3. Students learn best when they are actively engaged in the learning process.
4. A safe and physically comfortable environment promotes student learning.
5. Students learn in different ways and should be provided with a variety of instructional approaches.
6. Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs.
7. Teachers, administrators, parents, and the community share the responsibility for advancing the school mission.
8. Student learning is the chief priority for the school.
9. The commitment to continuous improvement is imperative if our school is going to enable students to become confident, self-directed, life-long learners.
The implementation of the Hillcrest Middle School Philosophy is made possible through the adoption of the 16 characteristics of the Association for Middle Level Education:
1. Educators value young adolescents and are prepared to teach them.
2. Students and teachers are engaged in active, purposeful learning.
3. Curriculum is challenging, exploratory, integrative, and relevant.
4. Educators use multiple learning and teaching approaches.
5. Varied and ongoing assessments advance learning as well as measure it.
6. A shared vision developed by all stakeholders guides every decision.
7. Leaders are committed to and knowledgeable about this age group, educational research, and best practices.
8. Leaders demonstrate courage and collaboration.
9. Ongoing professional development
10. Organizational structures foster purposeful learning and meaningful relationships.
11. The school environment is inviting, safe, inclusive, and supportive of all.
12. Every student’s academic and personal development is guided by an adult advocate.
13. Comprehensive guidance and support services meet the needs of young adolescents.
14. Health and wellness are supported in curricula, school-wide programs, and related policies.
15. The school actively involves families in the education of their children.
16. The school includes business and community partners.
Parents of children attending Greenville County Schools have access to a new and improved Parent Portal that will help keep them better informed about their children's academic performance, attendance and much more.
Parents must have an access ID and password to obtain their children's school information. Because this information is sensitive, parents must pick up the access ID and password in person at their child's school and show proper identification. The school will not email, mail or provide the information over the phone.
The Parent Portal can be accessed by clicking on the Portal icon (compass) located in the top right-hand corner of the district website. After creating a personalized username and password, parents will have access to their child's grades, grade history, attendance, teacher comments, student information, and discipline. Parents will also be able to change account preferences such as email address, username and password.
The district has established an e-mail account for parents to e-mail the district Transportation Department with questions or concerns they may have. The e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your child's address, school, and phone number where they can be reached. Please click on the school bus to update your student's bus transportation status for the next school year.