Bryson Middle School Guidance

NEW (Added 4/8): Course Recommendation Parent Override Request Form for BMS Courses for the 2020-2021 Year

Teachers in Greenville County middle/high schools give careful consideration to student placement for the following year. Parents have the right to participate in the registration process and may override a teacher's recommendation in order to place their son or daughter in a different course and/or level.

Please note that forwarding the communication discussing the course recommendation with the current teacher must be forwarded to the student's school counselor before processing the override request will be considered.

Parents/Guardians who wish to override a teacher's course recommendation must complete one form per course override request. The deadline to make this request is NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, APRIL 24, 2020.

School Counselors can...

Contact a Counselor

6th Grade, Kiara Lewis
Phone: 355-2162

7th Grade, Jessica Trautwein
Phone: 355-2116

8th Grade, Brian Beeson 
Phone: 355-2117

OnTrack/Career Counseling, Shani Brister
Phone: 355-2104

Course Catalogs: 2020-2021 School Year

Rising 6th Graders 

Rising 7th/8th Graders

Guidance in the BMS Handbook

Grade-level Counselors

If a student needs to talk with someone about a personal problem or a school problem, a counselor is available. Under normal circumstances, the procedure for seeing a counselor is:

  1. Notify the teacher/administrator that you need to see a counselor.
  2. Secure a pass to the guidance office.
  3. If a counselor is unable to see you immediately, an appointment will be scheduled for you. Parents who wish to meet with teachers or counselors should call the proper grade-level counselor (355-2114) to arrange a conference. In an emergency situation, a counselor will see students immediately.

Career Counselors

Career counselors meet with students quarterly to help students identify areas of interest and to begin career exploration. Activities are designed to encourage students to evaluate personal skills and preferences, to set goals for career options, and to apply appropriate steps in education toward the achievement of those goals.

Mental Health Counselor

A full-time mental health counselor is available to students and their families through the Piedmont Mental Health Facility. Appointments can be secured through our guidance department.

Transfers and Withdrawals

If it becomes necessary for a student to withdraw from Bryson, the student's custodial parent or legal guardian must send a written note stating where the child is transferring and the student's last day of attendance at Bryson Middle. The student must report to the Guidance Office by 8:30 a.m. on the morning of his/her last day of attendance to pick up the withdrawal form which will be completed by his/her teachers. At the end of the day he/she will receive a withdrawal packet to take to the new school. Upon written request, Bryson Middle will forward student records.

To Change Address and Update Student Information

If students have a change of address or phone number, they should report these changes to the school immediately. Accurate addresses and phone numbers are needed in case of an emergency. The school should have an up-to-date address and phone number for each student's parents or guardian at all times. To update information with the health room, please call the school nurse at 355-2107. To update all other information, please call the Guidance Office at 355-2114.