Enrichment Programming 2017-2018
Our fundamental purpose and responsibility is to bring about high levels of learning for each student. At Sevier, teachers and support staff work collaboratively to focus their work in support of student achievement targets. At the forefront of our decisions are these driving questions:
1. What do we want our students to learn?
2. How will we know if each student has learned it?
3. How will we respond when some of our students don’t learn?
4. How will we enrich and extend the learning for students who are already proficient?
Structural Support: Our structured enrichment program meets for 43 minutes on 18 Fridays at the start of the school day. All professional staff members are directly involved in the delivery of targeted academic support, academic advancement, or special interest opportunities.
Content: In 6 seminars lasting 3 sessions each, teachers will:
- preview or re-teach essential content and skills,
- address student needs for small group support or extra time to reach content standards
- provide for academic advancement or extension beyond that to be covered in class
- engage students in a special area of interest or prepare for academic competition
Assignment of students:
- Students express interest in academic and non-academic offerings by type (i.e. team sports, engineering, creative writing, and so on).
- Before each seminar is to begin, teachers will assign students.
- The first priority is the need for academic support or advancement, based on classroom assessments and upcoming skills requirements.
- Next, assignments are made to fit expressed interest.
- After matching students to the most timely and available sessions for their grade level, Homeroom teachers will notify students of the assignment.
Many Enrichment offerings require or can be strengthened by participation from community partners. You can volunteer your support as a small group facilitator, project coordinator, or organizer of materials. You may offer your support to students to solve a real-world problem, explore a career, or build skills of collaboration or leadership. Contact Jami Crisman at 355-8485 to indicate your availability and interest.
Dates of Enrichment Seminars:
Adjusted Bell Schedule for Enrichment Fridays:
All Enrichment sessions are held at the start of the school day. Every core academic and related arts class meets that day in a slightly shortened period. The Enrichment Bell Schedule is available on the website.
Questions or comments should be directed to Mr. Maguire at 355-8210 or Lisa Major at 355-8213.
Students completed a Enrichment Preferences Survey prior to the start of this year's Enrichment sessions. New students are asked to complete the form. Please click on the grade level that applies to you.
6th grade: https://goo.gl/forms/rC0RLpYKGjIHug5n2
7th grade: https://goo.gl/forms/DKu5qTCn9LcKinHB3
8th grade: https://goo.gl/forms/pHbeDEpoH0zKeqm53