Enrichment Programming 2021-2022
Our fundamental purpose and responsibility is to bring about high levels of learning for each student. At Sevier, teachers and support staff work collaboratively to focus their work in support of student achievement targets. At the forefront of our decisions are these driving questions:
1. What do we want our students to learn?
2. How will we know if each student has learned it?
3. How will we respond when some of our students don’t learn?
4. How will we enrich and extend the learning for students who are already proficient?
Structural Support: Our structured enrichment program meets for 43 minutes on 16 Fridays at the start of the school day. All professional staff members are directly involved in the delivery of targeted academic support, academic advancement, or special interest opportunities.
Content: In 5 seminars typically lasting 3 sessions each, teachers will:
- preview or re-teach essential content and skills,
- address student needs for small group support or extra time to reach content standards
- provide for academic advancement or extension beyond that to be covered in class
- engage students in a special area of interest or prepare for academic competition
Assignment of students:
- Students express interest in academic and non-academic offerings by type (i.e. team sports, engineering, creative writing, and so on).
- Before each seminar is to begin, teachers will assign students.
- The first priority is the need for academic support or advancement, based on classroom assessments and upcoming skills requirements.
- Next, assignments are made to fit expressed interest.
- After matching students to the most timely and available sessions for their grade level, Homeroom teachers will notify students of the assignment.
Many Enrichment offerings require or can be strengthened by participation from community partners. You can volunteer your support as a small group facilitator, project coordinator, or organizer of materials. You may offer your support to students to solve a real-world problem, explore a career, or build skills of collaboration or leadership. Contact Jami Crisman at 355-8485 to indicate your availability and interest.
Dates of Enrichment Seminars:
Enrichment Cycles are in three Friday morning series.
Cycle 1 - 9/10, 9/17, 9/24
Cycle 2 - 10/8, 10/15, 10/22
Cycle 3 - 12/3, 12/10, 12/17
Cycle 4 - 1/21, 1/28, 2/4
Cycle 5 - 2/25, 3/4, 3/11
Questions or comments should be directed to Mr. Maguire at 355-8210 or Carolyn Morris at 355-8200.