News & Notes
This I Believe
Join us for our seventh grade This I Believe program on Monday, May 21 at 6pm. This I Believe is an international organization which engages young people in writing and sharing essays. The seventh grade students will present their personal beliefs, the values which rule their thoughts and actions, to their colleagues and the community in a formal presentation. It's always inspirational for the students to give voice to their thoughts and ideas.
Beginning Band StudentsBand Mouthpiece Testing/ Instrument Placement Testing will be held on Tuesday, May 29th in the GMA cafeteria from 5:00-7:00 PM for rising 6th grade beginning band students.
Principal's Weekly Update (Week of May 21)
State Testing concludes this week, with our 8th Graders taking the SCPASS assessment in Science on Monday, and 6th Graders taking the SCPASS assessment in Science on Tuesday. Students will also participate in the End of Course Test for Algebra I on Thursday. Make-up testing for EOC English I and the SCPASS assessment in science and social studies will also be taken this week.
As a reminder, the Testing Calendar is posted on our school website. Please help us ensure we have excellent testing days by making sure your student is present and on time during their testing days and encourage them to do their best. Thank you for your support!
This I Believe Program for 7th grade will be held on Monday at 6:00 PM in the cafeteria.
MathCounts will meet on Tuesday from 3:30-4:30 PM in Mr. Rhodes’ classroom. This is the last meeting of the year.
District HR Operations will host a Building Services ONLY Job Fair on Tuesday, May 22, 2018, from 5:00-7:00 pm at Duncan Chapel Elementary School, 210 Duncan Chapel Road, Greenville, SC. The focus of this job fair will be on the building services department. We are looking to hire custodians, head custodians and plant engineers. Hiring managers will be on hand to speak with and answer questions from interested applicants.
Join us for our Spring Strings Concert on Tuesday at 7:00 PM in the gym.
Student Book Club will meet on Wednesday in the media center at 7:45 AM.
Detention will be held on Thursday from 3:15-4:15 PM in the media center.
Tickets to the 8th Grade Dance will be sold during lunch on Friday, May 25th for $10 each. Students will be marked as 'paid' rather than receiving actual tickets. There will be no sales at the door the night of the dance, so be sure to reserve your spot during lunch this Friday. The attire for the dance is dressy, but not formal. Should you have any questions regarding proper attire, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
As always, thank you for your support of Greenville Middle Academy! Let’s have a great week!
Just for Parents:
Medications/Supplies in Health Room: Please come by the Health Room to pick up your child’s medications before the end of the school year. Medications cannot be sent home with students. If they are not picked up by June 6th at 11:00 am, they will be destroyed per district policy. Call Nurse Jackie at 355-5607 with any questions or concerns.
A reminder that the 4th Quarter Report Card will be mailed home. Please go ahead and send in a self-addressed stamped envelope so we may mail you your student’s Report Card at the end of the year. The deadline for all self-addressed stamped envelopes will be Friday, May 25.
PBS NewsHour Column: Students are addicted to their cellphones, and they need our help
- Monday, May 21 - 8th Grade Science State Assessment; This I Believe Program (7th grade)
- Tuesday, May 22 - 6th Grade Science State Assessment; Strings Concert (7:00 PM)
- Wednesday, May 23 - EOC Reading/Writing Make-up Testing
- Thursday, May 24 - EOC Algebra I
- Friday, May 25 - Science/Social Studies Make-up Testing; Geometry Exam
- Monday, May 28 - Memorial Day Holiday
- Tuesday, May 29 - EOC Algebra I Make-up Testing
- Friday, June 1 - 8th Grade Awards
- Monday, June 4 - 7th Grade Awards
- Tuesday, June 5 - 6th Grade Awards
- Wednesday, June 6 - Last Day of School; Half Day/Dismissal at 12:45 PM
Spring Testing Calendar
Standardized testing for SCPASS (Science or Social Studies) and SC Ready (ELA and Math) is scheduled for May. Below is helpful information regarding these assessments. If you have any questions, contact Principal Andrews or Mrs. Allison, our instructional coach, at 355-5600.
Our Spring Testing Calendar is now available!
- Testing begins at promptly 8:35, so please have students at school on time.
- Doctors’ appointments or other out of school functions should not be scheduled during testing times.
- Cell phones, smart watches, and other electronics should be stored in the locker or left at home. Students may not be in possession of any electronic devices that can be used for communicating, timing, creating images, or storing images. If brought into the test session, they will be collected by the test administrator and returned after the test session is complete. There is a protocol for devices necessary for medical monitoring.
- Please review the schedule for testing dates and times. Note that each grade level tests separately. The tests are not timed. The students may actively work on the test as long as needed, but they must complete the test by the end of the school day. The majority of the students are projected to finish around 11:30 each morning.
- Students will be provided state testing accommodations according to IEP, 504, or ESOL plans.
- The policy for calculator use may be found at this website: https://ed.sc.gov/tests/tests-files/sc-ready-files/sc-ready-calculator-use-policy-for-2017-18/
- Online Practice Tests for all subjects are available at this website: https://wbte.drcedirect.com/SC/portals/sc/. Click on the white link "Online tools training" below the square labeled SCPASS/SCREADY.
- NEW! Students taking the test online will be provided paper ELA Passage Booklets. Booklets will include the passage for the text-dependent analysis in ELA Session 1, and the reading passages for ELA Session 2. Students may mark or highlight in the booklets, but will respond online.
8th Grade Dance
The 8th students will celebrate the end of middle school on May 31 with a dance, "Adventure Awaits!" Please consider volunteering to make this event extra special. Parents of all grade levels are encouraged to sign up to help out. Thank you for your support in making this evening memorable for our 8th graders!
2018 Report to the Community
A Tradition of Excellence - We're proud to share our 2018 Report to the Community, which highlights the unique programs and offerings provided at Greenville Middle Academy. Greenville Middle is an excellent school because of our awesome students, supportive families, and dedicated teachers, staff, and administration!
GMA Extended Stay Program
Students may begin enrolling in Greenville Middle’s after school extended day program for the school year 2018-2019 beginning May 1st. Parents must pay $40 registration, first week tuition, and turn in a completed application.
Summer School 2018Middle School Tuition Summer School is open for registration now. Summer school students can work at home on the coursework OR in one of the designated labs, if student don't have access to a compuer. Students are able to work at their own pace. Summer School Dates are June 18 - July 19. The lab sites are located at Mauldin Middle and Sevier Middle; Monday - Thursday 8:30 - 12:30 . The fee for each class is $150. Registration deadline is Thursday, June 14. Registration can be completed online with payment or in person at the student's home school. Payment will need to be made with cash, certified check or money order. Summer School is open to Greenville County residents only.
GCSD Job Fair
Looking for a job? Greenville County Schools will host a Job Fair Tuesday, May 22 from 5 - 7pm at Duncan Chapel Elementary School located at 210 Duncan Chapel Road in Greenville. Many hourly positions are available; bus drivers, aides, custodians and food service operators are needed. Employees who work 30 or more hours per week qualify for health & dental benefits, retirement, sick leave, free life insurance and more. Questions? Call INFOline at 355-3100 or visit the GCS website at greenville.k12.sc.us.
Spotlight on GMA
Documents and Forms
- Student Enrollment Forms