Dear Woodland Elementary School families:
Welcome back to a brand new school year! We hope you and your family had a wonderful summer and enjoyed spending time together doing many fun things. We look forward to seeing you in the next few days and help you get off to a great start in a new year.
I want to thank each of you for your loyal support over the years and encourage all of our parents to commit to becoming even more involved this year. I invite you to join our team and help us continue to provide a quality education for every child at Woodland Elementary. Your involvement at home and at school is crucial to our success. You can make a difference. Here are a few ways parents can have a positive influence and be more involved:
- Encourage, don’t discourage your child. Praise your child’s efforts. Avoid making negative statements about their ability.
- Help your child be independent. Teach him or her to budget time and make decisions. Encourage your child’s interest in hobbies and activities.
- Set realistic goals together and plan to achieve them.
- Talk about school and teachers in a positive way. Encourage good effort. Expect your child to go to school each day.
- Teach by example and be a positive role model. Develop healthy habits that can be shared such as cooking meals and exercising together.
- Express your love- let your child know that you love them. Avoid comparing them to others- especially brothers and sisters.
- Spend quality time with your child. Help with homework.
- Talk with your child- not ‘at’ him or her. Ask questions and listen carefully to what he or she says.
- Build good relationships with your child’s teachers, counselors and staff members.
- Take part in school organizations and activities. Volunteer.
- Make home a learning place.
Quality education takes a team effort. Thanks for being on our team and helping make a difference!
Katrina Miller, Principal