School Improvement Council
South Carolina initiated School Improvement Councils through legislation as a means of restoring the influential voice of parents and community members in public education. Each public school in South Carolina has a School Improvement Council that is responsible for planning, monitoring, and evaluating improvement at the school level. The School Improvement Council at Stone Academy has the following responsibilities:
- Participate in the development of the five-year school improvement plan.
- Assist in the monitoring of the implementation of the plan and evaluation of results on achieving the goals.
- Assist in the writing of the annual updates.
- Advise on the spending of incentive funds if the school receives an award.
- Write the narrative to the School Report Card in conjunction with the principal.
- Participate in the revision of the school improvement plan if the school is rated unsatisfactory on the School Report Card.
Statewide Recognition for Stone Academy School Improvement Council
The Dick and Tunky Riley School Improvement Award was created by the SC-SIC Board of Trustees in honor of former SC Governor and US Secretary of Education Richard W. Riley and his wife, Tunky, in 2002. The annual award recognizes School Improvement Councils for outstanding achievement and civic engagement on behalf of their school. The Stone Academy SIC was proud to be recognized as one of 16 Honor Roll awardees statewide (and one of only two within the Greenville County School District) for our work during the 2007-2008 school year.
SC SIC Website
School Improvement Council Members
Members of the Stone Academy School Improvement Council include parents, faculty, community members, and ex-officio members. Names are listed below
- Josh Morris, Chair
- Bruce Byford
- Robin Blackwood
- Amy Faulkenberry
- Allen Fretwell
- Tommy Wilkinson
- Cathy Dodson
- Bonnie McClain
- Jean Thomas
- Alice Littlejohn
- Connie Buto
- Jonathan Jones
- Fran Mauney
- Susan Shi
- Linda Tassie
- Brett Vaughn (Principal)
- Suzanne Shouse( Asst. Principal)
- Brooke Howard (Guidance)
- Cameron Patton (IC)
- Suzy Dover (Instr. Tech. Coach )
- Sandy Fruth (PTA Co-Pres)
- Caroline Fritz (PTA Co-Pres)
- Emily Kirkpatrick (ABC Grant Coord.)
- Ed Buffington (Past SIC chair)
- Jenn Byford (Past PTA Pres)
- Nell Stewart (community)
School Improvement Plan
Stone Academy School Portfolio
Each Spring the faculty, with input from the School Improvement Council, establishes school wide goals for the next year. These are reflected in our School Portfolio, a comprehensive document developed by every Greenville County Public School.
- Improve the reading and writing achievement of all students across grade levels and demographic groups.
- Improve the math achievement of all students across grade levels and demographic groups.
- Improve technology skills of students, teachers, and parents for increased student achievement, communication, and life-long technological skills.
- Improve communication, parent involvement and parent understanding to improve student achievement.