Healthy Choices Cafe
Food and Nutrition Website
Ideas for Healthy Snacks
- Any type of fresh fruit or veggie
- A whole grain brown rice cake with low-fat cream cheese, honey and raisins
- Baked apple crisp – sliced apples tossed with cinnamon, oats, and a little brown sugar. Baked until crisp and topped with dollop of plain low fat yogurt.
- Dried or fresh fruit served with low-fat yogurt (for squeezable yogurts make sure it has no artificial food colorings and is low in added sugar).
- Individually packed applesauce with no added sugar
- String cheese or any small serving of cheese and fruit
- Whole-wheat pita chips or home made toasted pita with hummus, bean dip or fresh guacamole
- Steamed and cooled edamame (soy beans)
- Raw sugar snap peas dipped in low-fat Greek yogurt dip
- Apple slices tossed with lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Bananas cut into 4 pieces, dipped in plain yogurt, rolled in crushed graham crackers or a whole grain cereal, and frozen.
- Celery sticks stuffed with peanut butter and topped with raisins.
- Fresh or steamed broccoli florets served with lemon juice, dipped into a healthy salad dressing, or sprinkled with Parmesan cheese
- Sliced cheese and cucumbers on brown rice cakes.
- Make a healthy Chex mix with rice Chex, whole-wheat pretzels, popcorn baked with seasonings, dark chocolate pieces, and dried cranberries.