The mission of Heritage Elementary is to provide high quality inquiry based experiences that empower tomorrow’s leaders.
The following are the curriculum, instruction, assessment, and environmental factors that support effective learning for Heritage Elementary students:
- Curriculum related to the real world, integrated with technology, should match student abilities, should include global thinking, a reflection of standards and community expectations
- Instruction utilizes Best Practices based on research, addresses modalities and learning styles, uses multi-level instructions, adapts to the needs of students, applies to real-life situations, planned with inquiry-based techniques, and focuses on standards
- Assessed formal (teacher) and informal (self) methods, planned with the end results of application and transfer, reflects instruction, used by teacher for future modification in instruction, individualized according to students’ needs, used to address weaknesses, provides a variety of assessments reflecting the six types of understanding
- Our environment creates a child-centered/community-centered atmosphere, provides a feeling of nurture and safety for children and adults, projects a sense of structure, order, and organization, and demonstrates a feeling of cooperation.
Our Values and Beliefs
Values and beliefs are the core of who we are, what we do, and how we think and feel. Values and beliefs reflect what is important to us; they describe what we think about work and how we think it should operate. The staff was asked to brainstorm independently before we produced our core beliefs about what instruction, curriculum, and assessment will increase our students’ learning.
- Teachers must have high expectations of all students in both their academic performance and their social behavior.
- The curriculum of Heritage Elementary must provide an intellectually challenging environment.
- Assessment should be efficient, informative, and instruction ¬driven.
- Constant communication is a key factor in making sure that all areas of Heritage Elementary are aware of what is happening around them.
- Curriculum and instruction are aligned to South Carolina standards and are planned not only within grade levels, but across grade levels.
- Students should feel safe, emotionally and physically while at Heritage Elementary School.
- All teachers, students, families, and community are working together to ensure that the quality of instruction at Heritage Elementary is at its highest level.