Grades: 6th, 7th, 8th
Enrollment: 1163 students
School Colors: Blue and Silver
School Mascot: Riverside Royals
Motto: "Learning Today, Leading Tomorrow"
2018 SC PASS and SC READY Testing Information
Standardized testing for SCPASS (Science or Social Studies) and SC Ready (ELA and Math) will be taking place in May. Below is some information that we hope you find helpful. Please review the information, and if you have any questions, contact the testing coordinator, Ms. Bush, at 355-7929.
- Testing begins at promptly 8:35, so please have students at school on time.
- Doctors’ appointments or other out of school functions should not be scheduled during testing times.
- Cell phones, smart watches, and other electronics should be stored in the locker or left at home. Students may not be in possession of any electronic devices that can be used for communicating, timing, creating images, or storing images. If brought into the test session, they will be collected by the test administrator and returned after the test session is complete. There is a protocol for devices necessary for medical monitoring.
- Please see the attached schedule for testing dates and times. Note that each grade level tests separately. The tests are not timed. The students may actively work on the test as long as needed, but they must complete the test by the end of the school day. The majority of the students are projected to finish around 11:30 each morning.
- Students will be provided state testing accommodations according to IEP, 504, or ESOL plans.
- The policy for calculator use may be found at this website: https://ed.sc.gov/tests/tests-files/sc-ready-files/sc-ready-calculator-use-policy-for-2017-18/
- Online Practice Tests for all subjects are available at this website: https://wbte.drcedirect.com/SC/portals/sc/ Click on the white link "Online tools training" below the square labeled SCPASS/SCREADY.
- NEW! Students taking the test online will be provided paper ELA Passage Booklets. Booklets will include the passage for the text-dependent analysis in ELA Session 1, and the reading passages for ELA Session 2. Students may mark or highlight in the booklets, but will respond online.
Student Safety is Top Priority
Greenville County Schools and Riverside Middle school maintain student safety as our top priority. Please take a moment to learn more about the partnership between Greenville County Schools and local Law Enforcement. Go to GCS Security Plan and Law Enforcement Partnerships for more information.
As a parent and principal, I know that parents, students, and staff are concerned about the national news of late related to school safety, and although our students practice safety protocols regularly, in light of recent events, RMS would like to emphasize the ways in which we keep our school safe. Thursday will be “Focus on School Safety Day” at RMS. In cooperation with Greer City Police, we will conduct a full lockdown drill, and review throughout the day the safety procedures and emergency preparedness plans for each location that students are in, throughout their day.
I’d also like to share the information attached with parents, who might be struggling with the right way to approach their children’s questions. Click here for additional information about how to talk with children about violence.
Riverside Middle School
All three built in GCS “snow days” have been used. At this time, all students should plan on attending school March 19, March 30, and April 27.
2018-19 School Calendar
Greenville County Schools has released the 2018-19 academic calendar. The first day of school for students is Monday, August 20, 2018, which is the first day South Carolina schools are allowed to begin the 2018-19 year per state law. The last day of school is Wednesday, June 5, 2019. Click for more information.
Read Across South Carolina Student Art Contest
Last fall, students in schools across the state were encouraged by their teachers to create artwork utilizing the theme From the Mountains to the Sea, Read With Me. A team of judges comprised of art teachers from elementary, middle, high school and college levels as well as EdVenture Children’s Museum, reviewed the submitted art to select winners. Congratulations to Xaiviar Cremedy from Riverside Middlev School for his Honorable Mention in Division 3: Middle School. Click for complete story.