Communities in Schools
Communities In Schools of Greenville is a local affiliate of a national non-profit agency, whose mission is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. Communities In Schools of Greenville provides targeted case management, holistic afterschool programs, parenting supports, behavioral interven-tions, and community referrals—all offered in a school-based setting. Communities In Schools recognizes that each of these problems typically is a symptom of larger problems. Our Site Coordinators therefore work diligently to build one-on-one relationships with the children and parents we serve so that we might uncover the true barriers preventing the child or family’s success and to develop strategies so they may become more successful academically, socially, physically, and behaviorally. All Communities In Schools of Greenville programs include regular home visits, a lengthy needs assess-ment, and evaluations of effectiveness.
Every CIS program adheres to “The Five Basics:” Every child needs and deserves…
- A one-on-one relationship with a caring adult.
- A safe place to learn and grow.
- A healthy start and a healthy future.
- A chance to give back to peers and community.
- A marketable skill to use upon graduation.
CIS Case Management Programs serve 175-200 students in five Greenville County Schools with Level II services, and over 3000 students with Level I services.
- A variety of strategies and techniques are used to create a process for a student and his or her family to increase self-sufficiency by overcoming barriers which prevent him or her from succeeding academically, socially, or behaviorally.
- Participant-centered goals are set based on detailed information gathered through home visits, and regular meet-ings with school administration, staff members, teachers, parents, and the student. Once strengths and weak-nesses have been identified, community resources are secured to assist in development and implementation of the personalized action plans.
- Three sites have full-time Site Coordinators, two sites have part-time Site Coordinators.
- Days of the week vary per site, but are generally Monday-Thursday, full school-day and after school hours.
Lakeview Middle School Site Coordinator, Morgan Soniak
For further assistance, please contact: Kim Mahaffey, Chief Operating Officer, at 864-250-6740 or firstname.lastname@example.org