The school was originally founded in 1958 as an elementary school for students in grades K5 - grade 8 near the intersection of Old Buncombe Road and Cedar Lane Road. The land was donated in part by the Cone family in memory of Mr. Herman Cone, a former executive of Cone Mills. The school was then named in honor of Mr. Cone.
When the school opened in 1958, the staff consisted of teachers from the old American Spinning School. The pupils attending the new school came from the old American Spinning School, Monaview School, and Sans Souci School. In the fall of 1964, the students from Park Place School were placed at Cone following the closing of that school. Also, students attending the Poe Mill School were assigned to Cone following that school’s closing in 1965. For a period of six years, children who finished the sixth grade at Monaview were sent to Cone to attend the seventh grade.
This institution of learning has been led by a number of outstanding principals in its forty-four years of existence. Mrs. Lollie T. Hines was the first principal. She was followed by Mr. William W. Washington, Mr. Harold Turner, Mr. Robert T. Jones, Mr. Lindsey D. Cole, III and Mr. James L Gardner. The school’s surrounding community included a thriving textile community. Families lived, worked, shopped, and were educated all within this community. Many families lived in “mill houses” which were within walking distance of the school. In recent years, the school and community has evolved as many of the surrounding businesses have closed or relocated. The neighborhood has been revitalized by the building of numerous “Habitat for Humanity “ homes.
In August 2000, this institution began its first year as a primary school specifically addressing the needs of students in grades K4 – grade 2. In 2003-2004, Cone Primary and Sans Souci Intermediate School were consolidated into one school on the Cone campus.
In November of 2003, a committee of teachers, parents and students representing both Cone Primary School and Sans Souci Intermediate School met to select names for the new school building. Because Cherrydale Point has promoted growth and a positive change in perception in its surrounding area, many were in favor of naming the new school after the shopping center. Cherrydale was the name of the historic Stone family mansion which was located on the site before the mall was built. It is now located at Furman University. On December 9, 2003, the Board chose Cherrydale Elementary as the new name for the school.
In January 2004, students and staff voted on a new school mascot and colors for Cherrydale Elementary. The "panthers" was the overwhelming winner. The school colors chosen were red, blue and silver. A new logo was designed.
To preserve the history of both schools, the new school's gym was named after Sans Souci and the library media center was named after Cone. There will be historic memorabilia displayed from both schools. The new name for the school gave the school a new beginning, with a new focus, while maintaining the heritage of both Cone and Sans Souci schools in one building.