School Improvement Council
What is SIC?
The School Improvement Council (SIC) serves as an advisory committee to a school's principal and faculty.
- Unlike PTA/Os and other voluntary school organizations, councils are mandated by law to exist in every public school in South Carolina.
- The council members include parents, community business leaders, and faculty members
- SICs play a key role in the education of our state's children, bringing together parents, educators and community stakeholders to work collectively to improve their local schools.
- More than 16,000 people serve on SICs in South Carolina.
What does the council do?
- SICs work with the school to develop and implement a five-year school improvement plan (school renewal plan).
- SICs monitor and evaluate success in reaching the plan's goals and objectives.
- SICs write an annual report to parents about the progress of the plan.
- SICs assist the principal in writing the narrative for the School Report Card.
- SICs advise on the use of school incentive awards and provide assistance as requested by the principal.
How can the SIC help me as a parent?
- Provide a forum for your voice to be heard
- Help you learn about issues that impact public education
- Assist in getting to know faculty, administration and other Armstrong parents
- Strengthen the school that your children attend
How can I get involved?
If you are interested in serving on the SIC or have questions regarding the SIC, please contact our SIC chair.
Tracy Atkins Principal
Heather Bramlett Teacher of the Year
Caroline Sweeting Teacher (Chair)
Amy Wilson Teacher (Co-chair)
Suzie Hill Title I
Tracey Lloyd Coach
Amy Reese Counselor
Jeff Smith Head Custodian
Jennifer Rogers Parent
John Rogers Parent
Marlena Boyce Parent
Chutnie Hewitt Parent
Porsche Heselton Parent
Andy Bell Parent/Aldi
Flip Simpson Bojangles
Bob Bugos Lodge
Matthew Cohen Garden
Nancy Cooper Furman
Melissa Howard Teacher
Mr. Luman Mentor Upstate
Pastor LaVelle McCray Rocky Mount Baptist Church
Dr. Toney Parks Mt. Sinai Baptist Church
2015- 2016 Meeting Minutes