Title I Information for Sue Cleveland
Did you know that all students at SCE are eligible to receive free breakfast and lunch?
We have a school wide Title I program at SCE, where ALL children benefit from Title I funds. You have a right to be involved in your child's education and we invite you to be a part of the yearlong Title I planning process. Please see our online calendar for meetings dates and times. Additionally, information is sent home in weekly teacher newsletters, advertised on our front marquee, and by the Principal’s weekly phone message on Friday evenings. There is also a printable yearlong Parent Involvement Calendar under our Title I Resources.
What is Title I? Title 1 of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, is the largest federally funded educational program. This program, authorized by Congress, provides supplemental funds to school districts to assist schools with the highest concentrations of poverty to meet school educational goals, especially in Math and ELA. In December 2015, ESSA, (Every Student Succeeds Act), passed with some changes. There is more information on the differences under the Title I tab. We are working to have ESSA fully in place in the 2017-2018 school year, as more information is made available to us.
For the 2017-2018, school year Sue Cleveland received $563,773.00, a great reduction from the 2016-2017 school year allotment of $677,040.00. Our poverty percentage went up to 59.46%. The method of determining poverty was changed in 2016 and rather than free and reduced lunch numbers, direct certification from families receiving SNAP and TANF benefits was used and day 135 student enrollment was used to set the percentage of poverty.
Title I funds were used for:
- Reducing class sizes - We have one teacher in grades 1-5
- Additional teacher trainings
- Parent and Family Engagement Coordinator
- Behavior Interventionist
- Parent Trainings, resources and materials for home use
- Instructional Technology and Site Licenses for school and home use
- Supplemental classroom resources
- Title I Summer Camp - We anticipate that this program will be eliminated for the summer of 2018 because of the reduction in our allotment.
We hope that you will join us for our many Title 1 trainings throughout the school year. We have many opportunities for you to become involved in our school community and we look forward to working closely with you this school year! We are in the process of planning many new parent opportunities. Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions or concerns!
Paula McCallister, M.Ed., NBCT Title I Facilitator 355-4254
Lara Fernicola, Parent and Family Engagement Coordinator 355-4230, Parent Resource Rm K007
Please leave us suggestions or comments by using our SUGGESTION BOX located in our front office. We check the box on Fridays and will respond if you leave your contact information.
Please sign up for Remind 101, and the Parent Portal with Mrs. Fernicola and LIKE us (Sue Cleveland Elementary) on Facebook!
Title I Documents and Links
These documents will be updated throughout the school year as our yearlong planning process takes place.
- Title I Plan
- SCE Compact
- SCE Compact - Spanish
- SCE Parent and Family Engagement Policy
- SCE Parent and Family Engagement Policy - Spanish
- Parent Involvement & PTA Calendar
- School Report Card
- 24 Hour Rule
- GCS Title I webpage
- GCS Parent and Family Engagement Policy
- GCS Parent and Family Engagement Policy - Spanish
- Title I Talks Newsletter
- Principal's Letter of Highly Qualified Staff
- Attestation for HQ Staff
- SCDE Complaint Resolution Procedures
- SC Dept. of Education webpage
- What is Title I?
- SC Family Friendly Standards
- Difference Between NCLB & ESSA
- Student Reading Success Activity Guide
- Parent Survey Results