School Counseling Department - About Us
The Riverside High School Counseling Program supports the mission of Riverside High School: "to prepare students to become confident, competent, ethical individuals and responsible citizens by creating a positive and nurturing school environment where staff, students, parents, and the community work together to promote lifelong learning and to provide opportunities for students to reach their maximum potential."
The RHS Counseling Program contributes to that mission and offers services encouraging EVERY student to achieve optimum personal growth, realize full academic potential, foster positive social skills and values, set appropriate career goals, and become lifelong learner and contributing citizens of the world community.
Riverside High School Guidance & Counseling Program Philosophy Statement
American School Counseling Association National Standards
Components of a Comprehensive School Counseling Program
The Riverside High School Counseling Department provides a comprehensive school counseling program that consists of the following components:
- Guidance Curriculum - Structured developmental experiences presented systematically through classroom and small group instructions.
- Purpose - student awareness, skill development and skill application
- Area Addressed - personal/social development, academic development, career development.
- Individual Planning - Activities that help all students plan, monitor and manage their own learning as well as their personal and career development.
- Purpose - student planning and goal setting
- Areas Addressed - Study skills, academic requirements and opportunities, test requirements and use of test scores, appropriate course selection, lifelong learning
- Career Planning - Labor Market Information, preparation requirements and opportunities, job options.
- Responsive Services - Activities that meet the immediate needs and concerns of students.
- Purpose - prevention and intervention
- Areas Addressed - Academic concerns (study skills), School-related concerns (tardiness, absences, misconduct, dropouts), Personal concerns (social and family relationships, grief/loss/death, substance abuse, stress)
- System Support - Management activities that establish, maintain, and enhance the total program.
- Purpose - program delivery and support
- Areas Addressed - Guidance Program Development (Parent Education, Teacher and Administration Consultation, Staff Development for educators, School Improvement planning, Counselor's Professional development, Research and publishing, Community outreach, Public relations)