About Us Pages
Title I Documents
- What is Title I?
- ¿Que es Titulo I?
- Monthly Parent Calendar
- Monthly Newsletter
- Title I Staff Contacts
- Title I School Wide Program/Technical Assistance Plan
- School Parent Involvement Policy (English)
- Registro De Participacion De Los Padres (Spanish)
- District Parent Involvement Policy
- Política de Participación Paternal Del Distrito
- Title I Compact
- Title I Contrato
- Response to Parents
- Parents' Right to Participate
- Parent Friendly Standards
- Complaint Resolution Procedures
What is Title I?
(And what does it mean for Duncan Chapel?)
The 2017-2018 Plan
Title I is a federal program designed to assist schools with large numbers of students on free and reduced lunch. Title I programs place emphasis on building relationships between school and families, and on improving student achievement. At Duncan Chapel Elementary, Title I funding for 2017-2018 has helped in the following areas:
- Two additional classroom teachers to provide smaller student-teacher ratios in regular education classrooms, five intervention teachers, and a Math coach.
- SAIL Academy – Afterschool program for 1st-5th grades
- Bilingual assistance for parents and students with a Title I parent involvement coordinator.
- An on-site Title I social worker and a Title I nurse
- Additional instructional resources like technology, classroom books, math materials, visual aids.
- Additional opportunities for parent involvement, including better communication, and organized parent trainings and seminars offered by school faculty, community experts, and local agencies.
- Additional professional development for teachers related to Mathematics instruction and Balanced Literacy.
Since July, 2012, schools in South Carolina operate under a statute known as the ESEA waiver rather than the previous No Child Left Behind law and AYP measures.
- The ESEA waiver changes the method by which teachers and schools are evaluated.
- For 2013-2014 under the new ESEA rules, Duncan Chapel received a rating of A. This grade designates that Duncan Chapel exceeds the standards set forth by state and federal accountability measures.
- More information regarding the ESEA waiver and other accountability measures may be obtained from the SC Department of Education at the following website: www.ed.sc.gov
Parents’ Right to Know
Parents of all Title I schools, including Duncan Chapel, have specific rights pertaining to their knowledge of and involvement in their child’s education.
- Parents will be informed of the qualifications of their child’s teachers
- Parents will be offered opportunities to have input into the Title I plan and other school decisions
- Parents will be informed of the school’s performance on federal and state accountability measures.